configuration for ~500 concurrent users

Sakis

Sep 28, 2022, 1:56:56 PM9/28/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
my server:
Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz
RAM 32 GB
500Mbps bandwidth

bbb version:
2.5.6

my plan:
~500 concurrent users.
20 sessions of ~25 users (+ presenter) 20*26 = ~520 users
Only presenters (20) will use camera.
No one will use screenshare
Webcam bitrate will be set at 50 kbits/s
Attendees will open the mic only when they have to say something (so, no more than 1-2 persons will use the mic at the same time in each class)

I suppose my current server cannot handle it.
So I am planning to move to AX101 (hetzner):
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X
128 GB
1 Gbit/s

Do you believe this server will meet my needs?

thanks in advance

Daniel Schreiber

Sep 29, 2022, 6:47:01 AM9/29/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am 28.09.22 um 19:56 schrieb Sakis:
> _my server:_
> Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz
> RAM 32 GB
> 500Mbps bandwidth
>
> _bbb version:_
> 2.5.6
>
> _my plan:_
> ~500 concurrent users.
> 20 sessions of ~25 users (+ presenter) 20*26 = ~520 users
> Only presenters (20) will use camera.
> No one will use screenshare
> Webcam bitrate will be set at 50 kbits/s
> Attendees will open the mic only when they have to say something (so, no
> more than 1-2 persons will use the mic at the same time in each class)
>
> I suppose my current server cannot handle it.
> So I am planning to move to AX101 (hetzner):
> AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X
> 128 GB
> 1 Gbit/s
>
> Do you believe this server will meet my needs?

I assume it should do the job. Event with the default camera bitrate
(200 kbit/s) network bandwidth should be sufficient. Mediasoup CPU
consumption can be mostly ignored.

The component that uses most CPU cycles in BBB 2.5 should be
freeswitch. On our Servers (which have lower clock rate than those
ryzens) we calculate 1 core per 50 freeswitch participants. Freeswitch
CPU consumption is per participant, there is no difference if they are
muted or not.

Regards,

Daniel

Jerome Loubens

Sep 29, 2022, 10:37:57 AM9/29/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello
I believe that for your configuration it would be better to go through a LoadBalancer as in the following doc.
https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/scalelite
That's what we have, and we offer 10 LoadBalanders with X servers behind.
No worries about scaling up.

Sakis

Sep 30, 2022, 7:31:37 AM9/30/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
thanks for your replies.
I have read this and I see that what I ask is possible.

I have already set up the server and I will try it soon