Record ONLY Moderators webcams - IMPORTANT! [Feature]

fran...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2021, 12:59:39 PM1/14/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi there,

"BBB should have the option to record only moderators (or certain participants) webcams."

This concern has been around for a while. I would like to do a follow up in this very critical and privacy-related issue, and ask the core dev team if this is included on the 2.3 upcoming features..?

-- If not, will this be available soon? We have been struggling with this for a long long time now, specially in the EU.

Related issues:

Fred Dixon

Jan 14, 2021, 3:07:36 PM1/14/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Support for the create parameter  webcamsOnlyForModerator=true is in 2.2 and will be supported in 2.3-dev at some point before it goes to beta.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

fran...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2021, 8:34:00 AM1/20/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

With webcamsOnlyForModerator=true participants wouldn't be able to share their webcams at any moment.

We would need participants to still be able to share their webcams, BUT do not include their webcams into the final recording.

Paulo Lanzarin

Jan 20, 2021, 10:59:29 AM1/20/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

fran...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2021, 2:13:12 PM1/20/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thank you Pedro, I wasn't aware of the userdata-bbb_record_video parameter. As far I understand, this parameter is passed on the join API call, so in our case this would not work because we are using Moodle as our front end, and the join link for each meting it's the same for teachers and students. If we add this parameter to our join links, teachers would not be recorded as well.

Would it possible to avoid generating the recording assets based on a user level status or category (moderators vs. attendee)? For example, as the same way we can lock participants to see each others webcams (except moderators).. Could this work on the same way? Maybe adding this as a lock feature that can be set on/off by moderators inside the room?

Thanks in advance

Martin Thomas Schrott

Jan 20, 2021, 3:13:07 PM1/20/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, fran...@gmail.com

...it would have to be added to the moodle plugin.

a checkbox for each user and the plugin code would have to add the parameter if the user has checked the box.

should be not too much work to get this in. maybe someone has the time ;-)

cheers

Paulo Lanzarin

Jan 20, 2021, 6:57:44 PM1/20/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, fran...@gmail.com
Would it possible to avoid generating the recording assets based on a user level status or category (moderators vs. attendee)? For example, as the same way we can lock participants to see each others webcams (except moderators).. Could this work on the same way? Maybe adding this as a lock feature that can be set on/off by moderators inside the room?

User classes are not fixed. Can be changed during the meeting (and breakout rooms put everyone in as mods, for instance).
Would require to toggle recording on and off automagically on the fly tracking 1) locks 2) user class 3) breakouts/parent meeting.
Theoretically possible, somewhat convoluted, not on the to-do list as far as I know.

Clean way to do this is using the parameter and extending the moodle plugin as Martin mentioned, IMHO.
Otherwise, look at the PR I linked (hack):
If, at the time the video is shared, the user has a viewer role and
meta_hack-record-viewer-video is false this user won't have this video
stream recorded.

s,

prlanzarin