Next BigBlueButton Community Call: Monday, January 10, at 15:00 GMT

Fred Dixon

Jan 3, 2022, 7:58:04 AM1/3/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi everyone,

We hope everyone had a good break over the holidays.

This is a reminder that our next BigBlueButton Community Call will be on Monday, January 10, at 15:00 GMT.

You can use the following link to join the call:

  https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/gl/fre-woh-hde-kbd

Agenda:

   1. Look back on BigBlueButton 2.4 release
      a. Items that we are tracking
      b. Plans for BigBlueButton 2.4.1

   2. Planning/development for BigBlueButton 2.5
      a. Features planned for 2.5
      b. Community feedback on plans

   3. Review of agenda for next call

   4. General Q&A

The world's teachers need the best possible virtual classroom that helps them to teach and learners to learn in 2022.  Please join us at the call on January 10th and give us your feedback on the rollout of 2.4 and our plans looking forward 2.5.

Regards,.. Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

Jan 10, 2022, 9:17:45 AM1/10/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that our next community call will be in 40 minutes (15:00 GMT).

Everyone is welcome to join.  See you there!

Regards,... Fred

Robert Jacobs

Jan 10, 2022, 11:30:43 AM1/10/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Fred or whomever-
Was todays call recorded? I wasn’t able to attend.
Congratulations on all the great work the BBB is doing & with such a good community.
Thanks again,
Bob

Fred Dixon

Jan 24, 2022, 9:30:46 AM1/24/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi everyone,

Here's a summary of the main discussion points from the call on Jan 10th.  It was a good meeting.

- What about modular the API for the integration of other systems like boards? (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin)

We are not planning to incorporate other whiteboards.  BigBlueButton’s whiteboard is tied to multi-user whiteboard, download of slides with annotations (coming in 2.5), and record and playback.

It will be easier for us to improve the existing whiteboard that try to fit in an external one.

- What about enable/disable learning dashboard via greenlight or moodle? (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin)

Currently this is a server-wide setting.  Please open an issue requesting this feature and we'll see about doing it on a per-meeting basis.

See community discussion: https://groups.google.com/g/bigbluebutton-dev/c/I-OOUL_AKHk/m/eSfuRc8iCQAJ

- What about the Accessibility of BBB for visually impaired persons: https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22target%3A+accessibilty%22 (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin)

We work on accessibility for each release.  We'll go through these issues and see what we can do in 2.5.  See also our latest statement of accessibility: https://bigbluebutton.org/accessibility/

- 2.5 will be installable on ubuntu 20.04? (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin)

This is to be determined (it depends if we can fully move away from Kurento).  See: https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/13999

- Will E2EE be possible via a web browser in future time? Or did you plan to develope a bbb client to support E2EE? (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin); See https://signal.org/blog/how-to-build-encrypted-group-calls/

More investigation needed.

- Do you plan to move from docker images to pod versions for greenlight, scalelite or libreoffice in future times? (Michael Wuttke HU Berlin)

For GreenLight and Scalelite we recommend deployment using docker-compose.  Moving to Kubernetes and pods would not be a big step.

Libreoffice is currently running as a docker container on the BigBlueButton server.

- Do you plan to have more API options? In particular:
  - API to provide custom, external background pictures
  - Storage API callbacks to store edited whiteboard content

Work is underway to add an API for custom backgrounds. See: https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/pull/14075

For Storage API for whiteboard content, more investigation is needed.

- Can BBB 2.4 use bigger servers efficiently? (e.g. 20 cores, 100 GB memory)

Yes, especially with enabling Mediasoup.
With 2.4, if you have lots of meetings with two-way audio, freeswitch will now be the largest consumer of CPU. . But virtualizing BBB is no longer an issue if mediasoup is used (danimo)

- Are there plans to integrate APIs for automated voice to text? There are open source solutions which work quite well such as vosk (https://alphacephei.com/vosk)

No investigation yet, but it would be a great project to build in support for vosk.

- I got requests from language teacher to play audio files from their local computer. They have copyrighted language sample files they would like to share with students

If you can share the audio in a browser, you can share the audio in the browser using screen sharing.

- How about just sharing files in a session (running session)?

We have no plans to add file sharing to BigBlueButton.

- Any work on downloading capability the whole session as we see it in realtime right now?

The community has been working on adding recordings as videos in a future release.

- Sometimes some of our young students spam in chat, isn't it good to have an option that only moderators can see public chats?

We could add this as a lock setting.  Would need more feedback and thought. Please open an issue -- good discussions.

- How about replying to chats?

This would be a threaded discussion in the cha (like slack).  No plans to do this in the near future.

- can we have some streaming option for bigger sessions?

Not built-in to BigBlueButotn, but others have built out such solutions.  A quick Google found this https://github.com/aau-zid/BigBlueButton-liveStreaming (we don’t have any experience using it ourselves).

- Is there any thought for improving PDF conversion. To be more efficient. And less CPU consuming

Not at the moment, but it’s a good area for others to investigate.

> Any plans on making the Learning Dashboard/Analytics access available from the Moodle plugin activity, for each recording?

No plans yet, but it’s something we want to do!  We are waiting for Moodle 4.0 to ship with the BigBlueButton integrated into the core.   Since the BigBlueButton integration is part of the core, it does have full access to all database tables to store additional information from the session.  We are looking forward to building upon this and getting data from/to Moodle from a BigBlueButton session to further help the teacher.

Regards,... Fred