Libreoffice Docker

Jerome Loubens

Aug 19, 2022, 5:39:55 AM8/19/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hello
I have a question about LibreOffice.
A container is running for what reason in BigBlueButton?
Is this used for editing in a presentation?
Is it possible to modify a Word or Excel document from the sharing?
We are looking to integrate LibreOffice Online for teachers and I would like to know if in BBB it works the same way?
Thanks

Fred Dixon

Aug 19, 2022, 7:34:16 AM8/19/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jerome,

> I have a question about LibreOffice.
> A container is running for what reason in BigBlueButton?

We use LiberOffice to convert uploaded PPTX files and other document formats (including image and text) into PDF files for conversion into SVG images for display in BigBlueButton's presentation window.

The docker environment provides a very locked down environment to run LibreOffice -- no access to network, very restricted access to file system, the container stops (clears from memory) after the conversion finishes -- thereby reducing the chance of exploiting any security vulnerability in LibreOffice itself.

> Is this used for editing in a presentation?

No, just one way conversion of uploaded files to PDF.  If the presenter uploads a PDF, then LibreOffice is not even used.

> Is it possible to modify a Word or Excel document from the sharing?

No.

> We are looking to integrate LibreOffice Online for teachers and I would like to know if in BBB it works the same way?

There is no integration (yet!) with LibreOffice Online.  BigBlueButotn does provide a built-in collaborative editor based on etherpad (Shared Notes).  See

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Jerome Loubens

Aug 24, 2022, 9:11:24 AM8/24/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thank you @Fred
You are doing a great job with this magic tool.
Thank you for your reactivity also for the answers.
Have a good day.