Issue in Big Blue Button Stress test with Version 2.6

Ashish Pandya

Jun 10, 2024, 1:19:06 AMJun 10
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Dev Team,

We recently performed stress test with Big Blue Button Version 2.6. We tested scenario "Three conferences with 50 participants each". During this testing , Only 126 participants were able to join  and 24 participants were failed with error "Authentication Timeout". During this testing, CPU usage was around 95% and Memory Usage was around 70%.

Server Configuration is per documentation of Big Blue Button Website - Minimum Server requirement of Production ( 8 CPU and 16 GB RAM).

I would like to know how to optimize server and big blue button configuration to minimize CPU and RAM usage and achieve 100% success rate with all 150 users. We would like to connect 200 users with this setup.

Please let us know feasibility for the same.

Thanks,
Ashish Pandya

Daniel Schröter

Jun 10, 2024, 11:09:50 AMJun 10
to BigBlueButton-dev
Ashish Pandya schrieb am Montag, 10. Juni 2024 um 07:19:06 UTC+2:
Server Configuration is per documentation of Big Blue Button Website - Minimum Server requirement of Production ( 8 CPU and 16 GB RAM).

8 Cores could be everything ;-)
Which cpu have you installed? Can you post a
lscpu

Ashish Pandya

Jun 11, 2024, 12:57:37 AMJun 11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Daniel,

Please refer attached screenshot of "lscpu" command. This is EC2 machine created on AWS as per guideline of BBB.

I would like to know linux related parameters or BBB related parameters which can be optimized for stress test because currently both server and BBB are running with default configuration during stress test.

Regards,

lscpu.png

Daniel Schröter

Jun 11, 2024, 1:13:20 AMJun 11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Ashish Pandya schrieb am Dienstag, 11. Juni 2024 um 06:57:37 UTC+2:
This is EC2 machine created on AWS as per guideline of BBB.

If it's virtual then you can try it out very easy. I would try c5a.8xlarge next.

Ashish Pandya

Jun 11, 2024, 2:39:10 AMJun 11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Daniel,

Actually this setup has been provided by our client. We tried to convey them to upgrade the EC2 but they are asking justification as EC2 is created as per recommendation available on website of BBB and still not able to handle 150 concurrent users.

Please help us with the solution for current server specification of EC2 ( 8 CPU / 16 GB RAM)

Regards,

Ashish Pandya

Jun 12, 2024, 7:08:26 AMJun 12
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Dev Team,

Please update on this as Client is waiting for the response.

Regards,
Ashish Pandya

Marcel Hellkamp

Jun 12, 2024, 7:54:27 AMJun 12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

your server matches the documented _minimum_ server requirements [1] for BBB, you can't really expect that to handle a meeting as large 150 concurrent users. Up to 200 users should work, but only distributed across several meetings and under normal circumstances (see [2]). In short: meetings should be smaller than 50 people, users should not join all at the same time and only some of them should activate video. How many users are possible depends heavily on the usage pattern, so your mileage may vary. Your server is obviously too small for the scenario you are testing.

If it's urgent and you need commercial support for BBB, see https://bigbluebutton.org/commercial-support/

[1] https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/administration/install/#minimum-server-requirements
[2] https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq/#how-many-simultaneous-users-can-bigbluebutton-support

Regards, Marcel

Am 12.06.24 um 13:08 schrieb 'Ashish Pandya' via BigBlueButton-dev:
Disclaimer
In addition to generic Disclaimer which you have agreed on our website, any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those of the Company or its sister concerns. Any liability (in negligence, contract or otherwise) arising from any third party taking any action, or refraining from taking any action on the basis of any of the information contained in this email is hereby excluded.

Confidentiality
This communication (including any attachment/s) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and contains information that is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. Unauthorized reading, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. Please inform originator if you have received it in error.

Caution for viruses, malware etc.
This communication, including any attachments, may not be free of viruses, trojans, similar or new contaminants/malware, interceptions or interference, and may not be compatible with your systems. You shall carry out virus/malware scanning on your own before opening any attachment to this e-mail. The sender of this e-mail and Company including its sister concerns shall not be liable for any damage that may incur to you as a result of viruses, incompleteness of this message, a delay in receipt of this message or any other computer problems.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ashish Pandya

Jun 17, 2024, 2:21:42 PMJun 17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Marcel,

Thanks for the reply !!

During this stress test, We tested scenario like below.

1. 3 conference,each having 50 users - Failed as some of users were failed to join with error Authentication Timeout
2. 3 conference, each having 48 users. - Successfully executed as all users were able to join

In both case, CPU usage was around 95% and RAM usage was around 65%.

As per link2 of your message - "how-many-simultaneous-users-can-bigbluebutton-support" - First scenario should also work as server specification is same as per recommendation. {"As a rule of thumb, if your BigBlueButton server meets the minimum requirements, the server should be able to support 200 simultaneous users, such as 3 simultaneous sessions of 50 users, 6 x 25, etc." }

Please help to clarify this.

Regards,
Ashish Pandya
Message has been deleted