Re: Change the view for display users

Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 3:06:38 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
How do you define a "current participant"?  the user list is all users that joined the live session right.. so what logic to filter a user as current.

regards,
Stephen

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 2:44:09 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
Hey, is there any way I can change how i see users, what i want is to have two 'filters'

1. Show all users
2. Show current participants

That can be done in 2 tabs, any ideas about which part of the code i need to modify?
Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 3:23:19 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
so your front end has the roster of all students in an LMS or custom app.. the bbb userlist maintains those that have joined.. so BBB html5 client cant show the roster.

But you can call getMeetingInfo from your app,  and get the active ones in the session, and then display in your front end app the roster vs active..   So doing it in your app is definitely possible.

regards,
Stephen

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 3:13:15 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
This is the context:

I have courses that have assigned students, so for example, for course A I have 5 students assigned to it. When I create a session on the big blue button for that course i want to see students that are inside the session, lets say 3 and I want to see all students that are assigned to that course, in this example 5.

Students that are assigned to some course are not always the one who are participating to the current session
Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 4:03:36 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
If you have skills to modify the html5 client code, you can create an api to call to get your roster and display in a 2nd tab or merged view in userlist, but code is hard to keep maintained and up to date as BBB updates new versions.  Or pass the roster list as a custom param on the create call.

regards,
Stephen

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 3:27:05 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
i dont want to display that in my custom app, I want to display that inside Bbb session in the users list, is that possible?

So i wanna see the ones who are joined the session (3/5)
And i wanna see all students that are connected to that course-session (5/5)
Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 4:23:54 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
another option is to send the ROSTER - List of names as a moderator only welcome message on create, so moderators just see the class list at the top of chat list when they join.
they can see both and compare both.   no coding changes to html5 client.   so pass that on create

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 4:11:29 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
I like the idea to send the list as custom param, but do you know which part of bbb i need to change to get filters in the user display?

Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 4:33:06 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
on the create call add this as a param  moderatorOnlyMessage="Roster..."  and the roster will appear at the top of the chat just for moderators.  Students wont see.

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 4:26:14 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
Sorry but i didnt understand, can you try to explain with an example?

Thanks
Message has been deleted

DistanceLearning.cloud

May 17, 2023, 4:46:29 PM5/17/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/development/guide#developing-the-html5-client
Here is the docs for checking out the html5 code, and building a custom client.

Here is the code for you to review... you will find the user list code here.

regards,
Stephen

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 4:35:41 PM UTC-4 Enes Sijaric wrote:
Understand, thanks. But i want to see that in the users list with filter for all people in the session, not only for  moderators

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 9:27:05 p.m. UTC+2 Enes Sijaric wrote:
i dont want to display that in my custom app, I want to display that inside Bbb session in the users list, is that possible?

So i wanna see the ones who are joined the session (3/5)
And i wanna see all students that are connected to that course-session (5/5)

Brandon Zylstra

May 17, 2023, 4:58:18 PM5/17/23
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 4:03 PM DistanceLearning.cloud <sd...@distancelearning.cloud> wrote:
If you have skills to modify the html5 client code, you can create an api to call to get your roster and display in a 2nd tab or merged view in userlist, but code is hard to keep maintained and up to date as BBB updates new versions.  Or pass the roster list as a custom param on the create call.

regards,
Stephen

I think you'd want as much of the code to live outside of BBB as possible.  If you use Hotwire (Turbo/Stimulus), you can have the HTML sent from your own app to a div in BBB.  Then you'll have a very minimal change to make to BBB every time you update.

--
Brandon Zylstra
brandon...@gmail.com

Brandon Zylstra

May 17, 2023, 5:28:57 PM5/17/23
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Custom div to be sent in custom param?

I wasn't suggesting anything related to a parameter.  (But I wrote more on that later.)

The approach I'm suggesting will (I expect) allow you to avoid much of the pain that comes from upgrading something you've customized.  Instead of sending data to BBB, which it must figure out how to display, you send the complete HTML (all except a small bit that must be there to communicate with your app).

Read this for more information:

But if you're not comfortable writing code then this won't work for you.

Regarding parameters (or something similar):

If BBB were modified (as a new feature in 2.7 perhaps?) to allow a parameter to specify new divs to inject, then this could allow all sorts of customization that didn't require manually changing template files on the server and updating them again when you upgrade.

Perhaps better than parameters, BBB could have a folder (that is not touched during upgrades) that has customizations, and which are injected into templates.  Each of these would need a CSS or XPath selector to specify where to inject the HTML, and it would need to have the HTML.  These would essentially be partials (partial templates) but unlike normal partials, they would contain the address where they are injected instead of the containing template containing a reference to the partial.

I could definitely see the ability to inject templates being useful to a lot of people, including me.

--
Brandon Zylstra
brandon...@gmail.com