Problems using HTML5 from mobile

Максим Штеклейн

Jan 4, 2018, 12:23:49 AM1/4/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello,

I'm having problems using HTML5 from my smartphone:

1) When I use IPhone, I need permission for the audio input, but the "Allow" button does not appear. How it looks, you can see on the  screenshot 1.

2) When I use the android-device, the interface is not displayed correctly:
a) there is no button for entering text (screenshot 2);
b) some buttons overlap (screenshot 2);
c) If I turn the smartphone horizontally, the presentation becomes very small (screenshot 3).

I use devices:

IPhone 6
IOS version - 10.3.2
screen - 1334×750

Xiaomi Redmi 4x
Android version - 7.1.2
screen - 1280x720
screenshot_1.jpeg
screenshot_2.jpeg
screenshot_3.jpeg

Fred Dixon

Jan 4, 2018, 12:11:13 PM1/4/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Максим,

Thanks for your feedback!

> 1) When I use IPhone, I need permission for the audio input, but the "Allow" button does not appear. How it looks, you can see on the  screenshot 1.

> IPhone 6
> IOS version - 10.3.2

Apple now supports WebRTC audio in iOS, but it you need iOS 11+ to use it.  Can you try updating you iPhone to iOS 11 and trying it again.

> 2) When I use the android-device, the interface is not displayed correctly:
a) there is no button for entering text (screenshot 2);
b) some buttons overlap (screenshot 2);
c) If I turn the smartphone horizontally, the presentation becomes very small (screenshot 3).

The problem is screen space.

As you can see, we've added some presentation capabilities to the HTML5 client.  It takes screen space to display the whiteboard controls, but on a hand-held phone, there isn't a lot of screen space (this is what you are seeing for a, b, and c).  For a student on a phone, it's likely they are going to participate as a viewer, not presenter.   They will be consuming content, not annotating it.

We can make the buttons smaller, but they get harder to touch.  There is more work for us in this area.

If you try it again on a tablet (Android tablet or iPad) or desktop, you'll have a *lot* more screen size for the controls.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Greg McKenna

Jan 4, 2018, 2:01:30 PM1/4/18
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Fred,

Good progress!

Here are a few screenshots using iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.1, Chrome.
I was not able to enable audio after clicking on BBB headset audio button.

If I enter as a participant on mobile, how can I switch to moderator mode?

Regards,
Greg McKenna

Fred Dixon

Jan 4, 2018, 3:21:39 PM1/4/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Greg,

> I was not able to enable audio after clicking on BBB headset audio button.

Try refreshing the page and enter the audio again (there's a bug which sometimes prevents the first-time entry).

> If I enter as a participant on mobile, how can I switch to moderator mode?

You need to have logged into the HTML5 client as a moderator (not something that is enabled in this test site).  You can try out some of the presenter capabilities by also logging in using the Flash client and making the HTML5 client the presenter.

You'll then see some of the presentation controls that are implemented.

Regards,... Fred

Greg McKenna

Jan 4, 2018, 3:34:25 PM1/4/18
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Fred,

Try refreshing the page and enter the audio again (there's a bug which sometimes prevents the first-time entry).

Tried several times, could not get past BBB arrow to enable Chrome audio.

> If I enter as a participant on mobile, how can I switch to moderator mode?

Got it

You need to have logged into the HTML5 client as a moderator (not something that is enabled in this test site).  You can try out some of the presenter capabilities by also logging in using the Flash client and making the HTML5 client the presenter.

You'll then see some of the presentation controls that are implemented.

jossef

Jan 5, 2018, 8:56:21 AM1/5/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred
i have same problem. not able to enable audio.
on iPhone 5s, iOS 11.2.1, - on Chrome. or Firefox or Safari
Tried several times.
Regards, Yossi

בתאריך יום חמישי, 4 בינואר 2018 בשעה 22:34:25 UTC+2, מאת Greg LGrider:
Fred,

Regards,
Greg McKenna

Regards,
Greg McKenna

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

Jan 5, 2018, 9:18:00 AM1/5/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

With an iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) definitely use Safari.

We're also planning to upgrade the server based on recent updates to the HTML5 client to make the joining of audio more stable.

We'll post an update here when they are available.

Regards,... Fred

Максим Штеклейн

Jan 10, 2018, 5:14:56 AM1/10/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Thanks for reply.

As you can see, we've added some presentation capabilities to the HTML5 client.  It takes screen space to display the whiteboard controls, but on a hand-held phone, there isn't a lot of screen space (this is what you are seeing for a, b, and c).  For a student on a phone, it's likely they are going to participate as a viewer, not presenter.   They will be consuming content, not annotating it.

Yes it's true. But practice shows that students often need to draw something, print or mark in the presentation. It is important. The tablet or PC is not at all, but everyone has a smartphone. Therefore, it is important that people can access the learning through it. If I can help with the development of this part of your platform, I will be happy.

We can make the buttons smaller, but they get harder to touch. There is more work for us in this area.

I propose to make a larger presentation, and hide the bottom buttons. As I imagine it, shown in the pictures. On screen_1
.jpeg there are no buttons at the bottom, but a new button appears in the lower left corner. when you click on it, other buttons are shown, as shown in screen_open_buttons.jpeg.

On a similar platform, it looks like on phone.png

Regards,
Maxim
phone.png
screen_1.jpeg
screen_open_buttons.jpeg

Fred Dixon

Jan 20, 2018, 6:30:33 PM1/20/18
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Maxim,

> Yes it's true. But practice shows that students often need to draw something, print or mark in the presentation. It is important. The tablet or PC is not at all, but everyone has a smartphone. Therefore, it is important that people can access the learning through it. If I can help with the development of this part of your platform, I will be happy.

We're interested -- are you familiar with react, nodejs, and front-end development?  If so, see

we'd like to work with you.

Good suggestions on the UI -- the third where we overlay the icons on the presentation/webcams is where we're likely headed.  For now, we're focused on getting the functionality working correctly.

Regards,... Fred