Can we install BigBlueButton on Kubernetes Infrastructure?

Gaurav kumar

Jun 30, 2020, 3:37:15 AM6/30/20
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi,
I have installed BigBlueButton on 32GB and 16vCPUs but now I want to install on kubernetes as its infrastructure is best in industry and I think it can easily scale load of  BigBluebutton.

but I didn't find any document related to Kubernetes installation and I also want to know how BigBlueButton for IP and domain name? As we need to wishlist (domain or IP) before use.

Kindly let me know weather we can install it on Kubernetes, Is there any way? Thanks...

Regards,

Gaurav

Matias Silva

Jun 30, 2020, 6:14:47 AM6/30/20
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gaurav,

Running BigBlueButton in production in containers has not been widely
adopted. BigBlueButton runs best on bare metal servers (see
documentation) so a docker solution has been developed but only for
quick deployment for testing as far as I'm aware. There are a few folks
that have tried using Docker in production, but there are probably
performance cuts. You'd be better off using Ansible to automate your
server set up for easily scaling. K8s and containerization is a fever
that has taken the world by storm, but it's not the solution to
everything.

---
Thanks, Matias
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/b213eb6f-5314-402b-ac43-57e6832a875co%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/b213eb6f-5314-402b-ac43-57e6832a875co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

tomaaron

Aug 19, 2020, 7:39:21 AM8/19/20
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey Matias,

I disagree that K8s is not the solution to everything. :) The ability to scale on demand independent components for streaming is very useful.
Unfortunately BBB in it's current form is not really suitable for Kubernetes. I can recommend the taking a look at this fork https://github.com/alangecker/bigbluebutton-docker

Best,

tomaaron

Aug 26, 2020, 7:15:02 AM8/26/20
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey all,

After several trial-n-errors I cannot recommend trying to install BBB on a Kubernetes Cluster. Kubernetes is not able to open port-ranges for UDP and I'm not aware of other solutions. There is an ongoing issue on github on the state of support port-ranges on Kubernetes Service objects from 2016 (!).

Best,

maier...@googlemail.com

Feb 25, 2021, 3:46:20 PM2/25/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi all,

how far did you come with setting up bbb in kubernetes? I am thinking of trying it too.

Thanks

蕭暘倫

Sep 26, 2022, 2:29:16 AM9/26/22
to BigBlueButton-dev

Hi all

Has anyone successfully built on kubernetes?

Thanks all
maier...@googlemail.com 在 2021年2月26日 星期五凌晨4:46:20 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: