BigBlueButton 2.4-beta-4 released

Anton Georgiev

Sep 2, 2021, 4:08:44 PM9/2/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
We are pleased to announce BigBlueButton 2.4-beta-4!

This release of BigBlueButton 2.4 includes numerous fixes and stability improvements.
It also includes a first pass at packaging for BigBlueButton (based on project's scripts) #12993 - this work is based on the scripts in use for BBB 2.3 and 2.4 but the actual code that is public is planned to be used for releases later than 2.4.x.

Note that BigBlueButton 2.4 runs on Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) and HTML5 client runs on Node 12 (same as BigBlueButton 2.3).

BigBlueButton 2.4-dev is under active development. While we don’t recommend setting it up in a production environment, we do encourage administrators to try out the build with others and give us feedback on our bigbluebutton-dev mailing list.

Link to installation command / instructions/ schedule / planned features:  https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.4/new.html

Special thanks to the community members who provided feedback to the earlier 2.4 releases!

This release includes all 2.3.x changes up to and including 2.3.13.

The full release notes for 2.4-beta-4 are here

https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/releases/tag/v2.4-beta-4

To try out 2.4-beta-4, visit

https://test24.bigbluebutton.org/

Or, better yet, grab a Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit server and install the latest version yourself (it will take only a few minutes):

https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.4/new.html

If you want to report any potential security issues with BigBlueButton, please e-mail us at secu...@bigbluebutton.org

As always, we welcome feedback on this latest update.

Anton

Hasan Majhali

Sep 6, 2021, 3:27:03 PM9/6/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Anton,

I Used this line to Update
sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

and at the last setp
===================
Configuration file '/etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** bigbluebutton (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? y
Installing new version of config file /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton ...
Adding bbb-html5.service to autostart using systemd
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bbb-html5.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/bbb-html5.service.
===================
when I choose Y
the site stop responding
and I get the
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

So I fixed the By restoring Backup for my server
and use the same line to Update
sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

and at the last setp
I choosed the N "keep your currently-installed version"
and it works for my server

Configuration file '/etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** bigbluebutton (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n
Installing new version of config file /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton ...
Adding bbb-html5.service to autostart using systemd
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bbb-html5.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/bbb-html5.service.

Anton Georgiev

Sep 7, 2021, 3:56:58 PM9/7/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi there,

Yeah, the safer way forward is to keep the default (not overriding).
If you re-run the bbb-install.sh command which you used to set up the BBB server in first place, you should be able to recover. Alternatively (I did this after breaking one setup by selecting Y) - use an existing BigBlueButton server's /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton file as a template and copy-paste-edit the file in the BBB instance that became misconfigured. Then just reload nginx `sudo systemctl reload nginx`

-Anton Georgiev
P.S. On second read of your message, I see you recovered. Well done! Thanks for posting this in case others run into it.