Kurento or mediasoup for webcam sharing?

Brent W. Baccala

May 13, 2022, 4:52:27 PMMay 13
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi -

I'm running 2.5.0-beta.2 and the system seems to be using Kurento for webcam sharing.

Whenever I share a webcam, I'm seeing stuff logged in /var/log/kurento-media-server/*.log, and nothing for bbb-webrtc-sfu in /var/log/nginx/bigbluebutton.access.log.

prlanzarin's comment on the IPv6 discussion thread a few days ago led me to believe that Kurento should only be used for recording on 2.5.0-beta.2.

So, what is happening?  Can somebody point out to me in the HTML 5 client code where it picks between Kurento and mediasoup?  What behavior should I expect to see?

    agape
    brent

Brent W. Baccala

May 13, 2022, 4:58:50 PMMay 13
to BigBlueButton-dev
I just remembered that I'm running this session through an nginx proxy, which might affect things, so it's not as pure a 2.5.0-beta.2 system as I thought.

But I'm still hoping for some answers to my questions!

    agape
    brent

Paulo Lanzarin

May 13, 2022, 6:06:24 PMMay 13
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

> Whenever I share a webcam, I'm seeing stuff logged in /var/log/kurento-media-server/*.log, and nothing for bbb-webrtc-sfu in /var/log/nginx/bigbluebutton.access.log

If the meeting is being recorded, you'll see log entries in Kurento (because it does recording etc).

/var/log/nginx/bigbluebutton.access.log is not the place to look for mediasoup logs. You should check /var/log/bbb-webrtc-sfu/bbb-webrtc-sfu.log.

Here's a cheat sheet on how to check whether you're using mediasoup or not:

  •  If you want to be 100% sure: the most direct and precise way to figure out whether mediasoup is being used is checking about:webrtc (Firefox) or chrome://webrtc-internals.
      eg.: open one of those, share a camera. Look for the remote description (SDP); see if it contains mediasoup-client in the SDP header.
  •  If you want to be 90% sure: tail -f /var/log/bbb-webrtc-sfu.log | grep -i "mediasoup", share a camera. See if a few log entries pop up.

Brent W. Baccala

May 13, 2022, 6:54:20 PMMay 13
to BigBlueButton-dev
OK, that's all good to know.  about:webrtc shows that it is using mediasoup.  Not sure why the /bbb-webrtc-sfu wouldn't be logged to bigbluebutton.access.log, and don't know why announcedIp in default.yml seems to be ignored.

Paulo Lanzarin

May 14, 2022, 8:53:12 AMMay 14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
> why announcedIp in default.yml seems to be ignored.

Because one is probably set in /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml.
That's the override file - it supersedes default.yml (/usr/local/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/config/default.yml)

陈超

May 15, 2022, 11:00:58 PMMay 15
to BigBlueButton-dev
I am using   bbb-install-2.5.sh.   installed  2.5.0-beta.2

any other configration should be changed to make sure  mediasoup  is working ?