testimony on military clean up needed

Jim Albertini

Apr 6, 2021, 9:51:06 PM4/6/21
to big-isla...@googlegroups.com

FYI  see my testimony below.

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: Re: Hana hou
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 14:42:02 -1000
From: jim albertini <jimalb...@gmail.com>
To: marten1 - Caroline <mar...@capitol.hawaii.gov>

Mahalo for the alert.  I submitted testimony again.

Solidarity.

Jim Albertini

On 4/6/21 11:07 AM, marten1 - Caroline wrote:
Aloha Jim,

HCR 35 has a hearing on Thursday and needs your support again.  Committee members do not see previous testimony, only new testimony.  Your previous comments are pasted below for your convenience.  Here is the link to testify Measure Status (hawaii.gov)

HCR 35 was inspired by the situation at Bellows Air Force Base and need to clean up munitions. A brief reminder:

  • This reso encourages a proactive approach to reviewing military lands, environmental issues that need to be addressed and uses for those lands by our State..

  • Many Ceded lands have leases expiring in 2029, and we need to plan before to make sure the land is safe to use and that we have development plans and resources lined up.

  • Kalaeloa was returned decades ago, but the State still has not accepted some part of it because of lack of funds to care for it.

"Aloha Legislators, Our organization strongly supports HCR 35 for military clean-up. On Hawaii Island, we have documented 57 present and former military sites involving hundreds of thousands of acres of military lands in need of clean-up. It's not only the surface and subsurface that needs clean up but the possible contamination of the groundwater and nearshore waters from military toxins need to be addressed as well. Military ordnance by the barge loads has been dumped in Hilo bay and off Kawaihae. More than 2,000 fifty-five gallon drums of nuclear waste from refueling nuclear submarines (contaminated tools, clothing, etc) have been dumped off Oahu's southern shores. This is all documented in a book I co-authored entitled "The Dark Side of Paradise --Hawaii in a Nuclear World." (available in Hawaii public libraries) In addition, there is the issue of the winds transporting extremely hazardous Depleted Uranium (DU) oxide particles long distances. DU oxide is created when DU metal is burned from being hit with high explosives. The military has officially confirmed the DU metal spotting rounds have been used at Schofield and Pohakuloa. Likely Makua too, and possibly Kaho'olawe and other sites as well. The military always has plenty of money to make its mess but too little to clean up its mess. Stop Military Bombing of Hawaii and Clean up the mess. Mahalo. Jim Albertini for Malu Aina."

Mahalo nui loa for your continued support.

Rep. Lisa Marten

Caroline Hobbs

Office of Representative Lisa Marten

Hawaii State House of Representatives

State Capitol, Room 311

415 S. Beretania Street

Honolulu, HI  96813

Phone: (808) 586-9450

--
Jim Albertini Malu 'Aina Center For Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box 489 Ola'a (Kurtistown) Hawai'i 96760
Phone 808-966-7622 Email j...@malu-aina.org Visit us on the web at www.malu-aina.org