Averting Global Catastrophe -- Nov. 5, 2021 Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet

Jim Albertini

Nov 2, 2021, 7:45:38 PM11/2/21
to big-isla...@googlegroups.com

Averting Climate and Nuclear War

Global Catastrophe!

        The stakes couldn’t be higher. The threat to human existence is clear. The Doomsday hour is fast approaching. The last seven years have been the warmest on record. Storms, flooding, drought and fires are intensifying, Global CO2 emissions continue to set records. The world is at a tipping point and there is plenty of responsibility to go around. The United Nations 26th Climate Change Conference is now underway in Glasgow, Scotland with participants from around the world. The goal is net zero carbon emissions by 2050, as well as big reductions by 2030. But the road map toward that goal is vague. We need more than promises. We need immediate action.

      Elephants is the room are the worlds military war machines, with the US leading the way. The U.S. military is the largest consumer of oil and CO2 emitter on the planet. The world needs to stop excluding military pollution from climate agreements. There must be NO more exception for military pollution. Sign petition. SIGN HERE Greenhouse gas emissions from more than 700 U.S. overseas military bases in at least 80 countries must be fully reported and charged to the U.S., not the country where the base is located. Better yet, dismantle the bases, put emphasis on diplomacy and reduce international tensions that risk more wars. Escalating tensions between the U.S., China and Russia risk a global nuclear war where there will be no winner. We need to eliminate, not modernize, criminal nuclear war weapons.

      More than 60 years ago U.S. President and retired Army General, Dwight D. Eisenhower, warned about the growing danger of the “US Military-Industrial Complex.” And he also said this about military spending: “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.” Those words remain true today.

      When will we ever learn? When will we say enough? It is time for action. – NOW!  It is time to shift priorities away from feeding the war machine and toward feeding the hungry and saving the planet.

No More War! No More Warming!

1. Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject violence & war as solutions. 3. Defend civil liberties.
4. Oppose all discrimination, anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic,
anti-Hawaiian, anti-Black, anti-Asian, etc.
5. Seek peace through peaceful means and work for justice in Hawai`i and around the world.

Malu ‘Aina Center for Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box 489 Ola'a (Kurtistown), Hawaii 96760

Phone (808) 966-7622 Email j...@malu-aina.org to receive our posts. For more information www.malu-aina.org

November 5, 2021 Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet – week 1049– Fridays 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office

--
Jim Albertini Malu 'Aina Center For Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box 489 Ola'a (Kurtistown) Hawai'i 96760
Phone 808-966-7622 Email j...@malu-aina.org Visit us on the web at www.malu-aina.org