Q28 Validation Error

robe...@wandisco.com

Aug 4, 2017, 7:01:23 PM8/4/17
to Big Data Benchmark for BigBench
Hi everyone! I posted a few weeks back about getting BigBench to work properly, and I'm glad to say that save one bug, everything is working completely! I've run a full test with all options omitting Q28 and it runs everything perfectly. However, we're not getting a final output and we would like to get a fully functioning benchmark with no errors, so we're trying to nail down our Q28 error. The gist of it is this: Q28 runs properly, but in the engine validation phase it fails. However, it seems like the results we have are matching, so I'm not sure why this is the case. I'll upload the logs; any help will be appreciated.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RILrYKGZbTTEtTUjhBbnp2ZEE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RILrYKGZbTbE45cnl1TDNPR2c/view?usp=sharing

Dave Jaffe

Aug 14, 2017, 4:31:20 PM8/14/17
to robe...@wandisco.com, Big Data Benchmark for BigBench
Hi Robert,

Did you get a response to this?

In /root/bigbench/TPCX-BB_V1.2/engines/hive/queries/q28/engineLocalSettings.sql you need to change

set bigbench.hive.optimize.sampling.orderby=${hiveconf:bigbench.hive.optimize.sampling.orderby};

set bigbench.hive.optimize.sampling.orderby=false;

Maybe this will help if you haven't already made this change.

Dave

Dave Jaffe
VMware

World Leader in Active Data Replication™
Find out more wandisco.com

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED

If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone. Any distribution, use or copying of this email or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. The views and opinions expressed in this email message are the author's own and may not reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf. All email sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by WANdisco. Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being passed.

robe...@wandisco.com

Aug 14, 2017, 5:52:29 PM8/14/17
to Big Data Benchmark for BigBench, robe...@wandisco.com
Hi Dave,

I'm still having this issue; thanks for the advice, I'll try that out right now!

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM, robert.yu via Big Data Benchmark for BigBench <big-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

robe...@wandisco.com

Aug 15, 2017, 1:43:15 PM8/15/17
to Big Data Benchmark for BigBench, robe...@wandisco.com
We fixed the error, turns out it was a whitespace issue.

Michael Frank

Aug 16, 2017, 5:32:58 AM8/16/17
to robe...@wandisco.com, Big Data Benchmark for BigBench
Hi,
Cloud you kindly share your final solution with us?

System independant result aggregation and valdiation is a bit fragile. A while ago I fixed a similar issue regarding different newline styles produced by different system configurations.
I am leaving the link to the unmerged branch fixing this for reference and for readers in the future.
(If the link is dead, the branch was merged and deleted)

Cheers
Michael

matthew...@wandisco.com

Sep 13, 2017, 2:11:58 PM9/13/17
to Big Data Benchmark for BigBench
Hi, I was the one who found the solution to the Query 28 validation. I will post the instructions below.

  • CD to $directory/TPCX-BB_V1.2/engines/hive/queries/q28

  • Look for the file run.sh

  • Make a copy of the file using cp and give it a different name (example: COPY_run.sh)

  • Vi run.sh

  • Scroll to the bottom and in the query_run_valicate_method(), there is a line with a “diff” linux command

  • Add -b” after the -q

  • It should look like this:

    • if diff -q -b "$VALIDATION_RESULTS_FILENAME" <(hadoop fs -cat "$RESULT_DIR/*")

After we did this, we were able to run the entire benchmark without problems.

What was wrong was during the validation when it was comparing the files, one of the files has white space at the end of certain lines. The change simply ignores white space when comparing.