ethernet port

Thanos Tzois

Sep 16, 2013, 2:35:32 PM9/16/13
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I have bought some Wanser-R NAS Dongle and although the most of them work totally fine i had some boards with weird problems. The latest problem is that one of them the I/O board and specifically the ethernet port is not working. Is it possible to create such a problem by using JTAG and be my mistake or should i send the board back?
I managed to write biffboot using JTAG but the network link seems to be disconnected when i try to  which in my case is not true. Moreover the network LED seems to work fine when i plug my cable. Any suggestions?
Thank you very much

rolf

Sep 17, 2013, 2:08:40 AM9/17/13
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
Once I had a problem with non working ethernet, using slackware as root filesystem. I tried to use a ready made filesystem USB-Stick in another bifferbord. Slackware stores the MAC-adress of the board connected to eth0 and if you put in in anoter board (with different MAC-address), it tries to attach the ethernet port to eth1 (because eth0 is already attached), which is not there.

If this is your problem, you have to create a new root file system for every board or delete the file where the MAC-address it stored. Tell me if you need more information.

Rolf

Thanos Tzois

Sep 17, 2013, 2:59:09 AM9/17/13
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rolf,
Thank you for your response. No I am not using Slackware. I only managed to pass biffboot but i am not able to ethernet flash using openwrt, it because when the biffboot starts it shows the message "No network link-cable disconnected?". Although the cable is plugged in and the yellow led flashes.

Thank you again,

Andrew Scheller

Sep 17, 2013, 5:26:49 AM9/17/13
to Bifferboard
Did you remember to give each board a different MAC address by editing
the biffboot file before writing it with JTAG?
https://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/biffboot-community-editions
AFAIK you can't have two devices with the same MAC address on the same network.

Alternatively, given that the CPU board and the IO board are so easy
to separate and swap over, I guess you could try a "known working" CPU
board (which is where the MAC address is actually stored) with a
"possibly broken" IO board, which would allow you to determine if it's
definitely a hardware problem with certain IO boards?

Lurch

Thanos Tzois

Sep 17, 2013, 7:10:07 AM9/17/13
to biffe...@googlegroups.com, ya...@loowis.durge.org
Dear Lurch,
WANSER gave me the MAC address for every board which i write using JTAG. So i swapped the CPU board and the IO board with a known working CPU and it seems that CPU board is broken and not the reverse (the IO board) as i first  imagined!
The IO board works fine when i use a  working CPU board. Although using the CPU board with a working IO board shows me the same message.
Is it possible this to happen by using JTAG?? Is there a test that i could do?
 Best Regards,

Andrew Scheller

Sep 17, 2013, 7:25:56 AM9/17/13
to Bifferboard
> i swapped the CPU board and the IO board with a known working CPU and it
> seems that CPU board is broken and not the reverse (the IO board) as i first
> imagined!

Well I guess that's progress, of a sort ;-)

> The IO board works fine when i use a working CPU board. Although using the
> CPU board with a working IO board shows me the same message.
> Is it possible this to happen by using JTAG?? Is there a test that i could
> do?

I'm afraid I dunno. I assume you've already tried using JTAG to
re-write biffboot to the 'broken' CPU board? (JTAG works at such a
low-level that it can even recover 'bricked' boards)

Lurch