Group-level analysis in BIDS

Mastaneh Torkamani

Apr 11, 2024, 3:36:17 AMApr 11
to bids-discussion
Hi all,

I could not find the answer to this question on https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/stable, so here is a question to the forum:
Are there any suggestions for where to store the results of group-level analyses, say, for MRI or electrophysiological recordings- such as MEA? Shall they be added to derivatives or to a dedicated directory at the same level as derivatives?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

Mastaneh

Remi Gau

Apr 11, 2024, 4:27:27 AMApr 11
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com, Mastaneh Torkamani

Maybe I am wrong but I do not think that anything in the BIDS specification addresses this... yet.

I did a quick check in some of the extensions for BIDS (work in progress) and BIDS apps to see if they were hints of this.

BEP17 (connectivity) mentions a group level folder

<dataset>/derivatives/<pipeline_name>/

   group/<modality>/

     <source-file>_[meas-<label>_desc-<label>_]NodeIndicesFile.tsv

<source-file>_[meas-<label>_desc-<label>_]NodeIndicesFile.json

<source-file>_[meas-<label>_desc-<label>_]relmat.[sparse.|dense.]<tsv,h5,zar>

<source-file>_[meas-<label>_desc-<label>_]relmat.json

BEP41 (stats output) also mentions a group level

derivatives/

univariate_glm/

group/

design.tsv

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus0back_stat-effect_statmap.nii.gz

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus0back_stat-effect_statmap.json

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus1back_stat-variance_statmap.nii.gz

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus1back_stat-variance_statmap.json

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus1back_stat-z_statmap.nii.gz

task-nback_contrast-2backMinus1back_stat-z_statmap.json

In terms of BIDS apps and what they do:

Fitlins I think save each level of the analysis as different derivatives datasets: https://fitlins.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

For Bidspm it saves the group level in a different derivative dataset: https://bidspm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/output_files.html#statistics

outputs/derivatives/bidspm-stats
├── CHANGES
├── dataset_description.json
├── derivatives
│   └── bidspm-groupStats
│       ├── CHANGES
│       ├── dataset_description.json
│       ├── jobs
│       ├── sub-ALL_task-<taskLabel>_space-<spaceLabel>_FWHM-6_node-dataset_contrast-<contrastLabel>
│       │   ├── beta_0001.nii
│       │   ├── con_0001.nii

Hope this helps.

Rémi
--
We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.
---

Rémi Gau

Mastaneh Torkamani

Apr 11, 2024, 5:51:16 AMApr 11
to bids-discussion
Hi Remi,

Thank you! That was really helpful. I had not checked the extension proposals and they indeed provide helpful insights.

We are collecting a large set of in vivo and ex vivo modalities, and currently we have the following structure within derivatives:

derivatives/ sub-01/
            ses-exvivoMEA/
            ses-exvivoMRI/
            ses-invivoMRI/

Now I am thinking if we should re-order these and create separate directories for each modality to store the subject-level and group-level results.

Best,

Mastaneh

Dr Cyril Pernet

Apr 12, 2024, 1:25:55 AMApr 12
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mastaneh

results, being subject or group level can go into your derivatives folder - possibly nesting another 'derivatives' for your group

- sub-01

- sub-02

-derivatives/sub-01

-derivatives/sub-02

-derivatives/derivatives

you can find some explanations here https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/stable/derivatives/introduction.html for the principles involved, but otherwise these are in development in different BEPs -- for sure there is some progress on that for PET and electrophys, I am not sure there is much going on for fMRI

Cyril

--
We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.
---
Dr Cyril Pernet, PhD, OHBM fellow, SSI fellow
Neurobiology Research Unit
Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet
Building 8057, Blegdamsvej 9
DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark

wamc...@gmail.com
https://cpernet.github.io/