Assigning a pairing fieldmap with fMRI runs

Aaron Tanenbaum

May 7, 2024, 8:23:42 PMMay 7
to bids-discussion
Hello,
I would like some advice.  When we collect fMRI, sometimes our participants leave in the middle of a scan usually for the restroom. When they come back, we would have to recollect field maps.  How best should I represent in BIDS which field maps runs goes with which fMRI runs.
Thank you
Aaron

Dr Cyril, Pernet

May 8, 2024, 3:59:54 AMMay 8
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com, Aaron Tanenbaum

Hi Aaron

under FieldMap https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/stable/modality-specific-files/magnetic-resonance-imaging-data.html#fieldmap-data you will find the metadata entity 'IntendedFor' (https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/stable/glossary.html#objects.metadata.IntendedFor) this allows you to specify to which runs you want to associate the field maps

hope this helps

cyril

PS: it says deprecated, so I imagine there is an alternative solution to do that? maybe in the scan file (https://bids-specification.readthedocs.io/en/stable/modality-agnostic-files.html#scans-file) optional columns (this would work too)

--
We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.
---

Marcel Zwiers

May 8, 2024, 4:22:18 AMMay 8
to bids-discussion
Like Cyril said, you can use `IntendedFor` (pointing to your scans that you like to be corrected), or you can use the newer `B0FieldIdentifier` (-> a tag to group the scans required to compute your fieldmap) + `B0FieldSource (the tag of the fieldmap that you like to use for correction).

See e.g.: