Parallelization: yes or not?

Daniele Marinazzo

Jul 30, 2018, 1:52:46 PM7/30/18
to bids-apps-dev
Hi,
We are exploring parallelization to speed things up.
We could parallelize across voxels or subjects.
Two questions: is this already implemented in other apps in an efficient way?
Then, does it make sense to parallelize within the app, or better to do it in bash when launching the app for many subjects?
Is something similar already implemented in Openneuro.org for example?
Thanks
Daniele

Chris Gorgolewski

Jul 30, 2018, 1:59:28 PM7/30/18
to Daniele Marinazzo, bids-apps-dev
Hi Daniele,

There are three levels of parallelization supported by BIDS Apps:
1) across sessions; analysis level: session with --session_label (assumes independent calls to your app which could be run on different machines/nodes)
2) across participants; analysis level: participant with --participant_label  (also assumes independent calls to your app which could be run on different machines/nodes)
3) withing single app execution (multithreading) enabled with --n_cpus flag

Best,
Chris

Daniele Marinazzo

Jul 31, 2018, 9:09:13 AM7/31/18
to Chris Filo Gorgolewski, bids-apps-dev
Thank you Chris! Is any of these implemented/preferred for inclusion in Openneuro.org?

Chris Gorgolewski

Jul 31, 2018, 10:36:34 AM7/31/18
to Daniele Marinazzo, bids-apps-dev
We are going through some deep refactor now but 2 and 3 were supported.

Best,
Chris

PS Apologies for brevity and potential typos. This message was composed on a phone.