Separating the validation of BIDS datasets from BIDS apps

gki...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2018, 1:19:29 PM1/8/18
to bids-apps-dev
Hi All,

I've opened an issue here which proposes to make BIDS dataset validation optional in BIDS apps.

The reasons for this are:
  1. Datasets stored on network (or other "far") mountpoints can be slow to access, and crawling every file within a large dataset would take a long time
  2. Re-running this validation for every task you launch is redundant, and it makes more sense (to me) to either a) launch a single validation task prior to launching jobs, or b) validate datasets on "ingest" to wherever you wish to store or mount them, though I understand not everyone is using databases or anything fancier than a filesystem, so in some cases this step could be overlooked
  3. Since validator versions vary independently from tool versions, depending when a tool was last updated the version of the validator used may be different, meaning different apps may give different validation results for the same dataset
Since I understand this may be a part of people's workflows, and this precedent has been set in the FreeSurfer BIDS app, I propose that all apps which currently use the validator add the --skip_bids_validator option to their command-line.

I've opened a PR on the BIDS example and linked to it in the above issue.

Cheers,
Greg

Chris Gorgolewski

Jan 11, 2018, 8:38:12 PM1/11/18
to Greg Kiar, bids-apps-dev
+1 This already has been requested. Definitely good to add this option.

Best,
Chris