Re: {BL} Digest for bicyclelifestyle@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

David Duncan

Aug 14, 2022, 7:00:30 AM8/14/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

I don’t notice any difference between aluminum and titanium and I have both.  Sheldon Brown’s article on frame material choices compares those two materials and steel and how material stiffness affects design:

Sent from my phone

On Aug 13, 2022, at 8:48 PM, bicyclel...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 01:29PM -0400

Hi All, hope everyone is well.

Is there a difference between an aluminum and titanium seatpost in terms of
stiffness? As an engineer, I would think titanium seat post is stiffer
because of its tensile strength, assuming the same moment of inertia but
from reading online, it seems that the titanium gives more and not as stiff
as aluminum which tells me sectional area is greater in aluminum than
titanium.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Ken Freeman <kenfre...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 04:37PM -0400

I think it's based on the modulus of elasticity ("modulus" for short). The
ability of a spring to deflect when pushed versus to resist deflecting is
based on the geometry of th part and it's material springiness. All steels
have dang close to the same modulus. Other metallic elements and metallic
compounds or alloys will have different values for modulus. I don't have
the moduli of a range of elements or other structural materials ready to
hand, much less in my head. The parameter essentially represents how much
a cube of steel (or of marshmallow) will deform if it is under pressure.
Stiffer materials deform less.

If you can maybe look up "engineer's bible" there should be a table of
moduli, or just google something like "table of elasticity."

I'm an EE, not an ME or a materials scientist but I do a lot of
systems analysis, so I've learned that following the right basic question
will get you farther.

Ken Freeman, Ann Arbor, MI USA

--
Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

The stiffness of a material is based on the material properties and
sectional area. Yes modulus of elasticity mattress but again, Titanium
appears to be stronger than aluminium and E is higher for Titanium. I am
concerned that because it is stronger, is it built thinner to be equal or
less in sectional area to have the same stiffness as an aluminum post or
less. Does you feel more bounce in rides with Ti than Al.