Brake Lever Compatibility

Lee Legrand

Sep 29, 2022, 4:04:40 PM9/29/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Looking at Shimano Alfine 8 Gear IGH Hub. Shimano brake lever is compatible with hydraulic disc brakes.  Are these brakes compatible with mechanical disk brakes offered by Avid? The disk brakes I am speaking of BB7 disk brakes.

Thanks You in advance

Peter J Leiss

Sep 29, 2022, 7:14:01 PM9/29/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Probably not if they are Hydraulic you will need cable brake levers unless I am missing something

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2022, at 4:04 PM, Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Looking at Shimano Alfine 8 Gear IGH Hub. Shimano brake lever is compatible with hydraulic disc brakes.  Are these brakes compatible with mechanical disk brakes offered by Avid? The disk brakes I am speaking of BB7 disk brakes.

Thanks You in advance

TheCapitolScouter

Sep 29, 2022, 10:40:50 PM9/29/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Trying to understand your question and making the assumption that you are asking if the Alfine hub's rotor will work.
The answer would be yes, any caliper that can properly mount to your frame will work with the rotor attached to the Alfine's hub.
But why use a 10 year old technology that was "just adequate" when it was new?
Brake systems have come a long way since 2012, either mechanical or hydraulic brakes in any of the leading brands are SO much better.
Not going to advertise my personal favorites, but have worked on them all.
In my shop, the BB7 is relegated to kid's bikes and the occasional "free-bike-for-the-indigent."
The only good thing about them is that replacement pads were available even during the worst of the COVID shortage.

Lee Legrand

Sep 30, 2022, 9:34:10 AM9/30/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Let me clarify.

I am looking at a premade bicycle build with AVID BB7 disc brakes and a typical derailleur shifting system.  I would like to change the shifting system to a Shimano Alfine 8 speed IGH system.  Shimano also has brake levers that are advertised for hydraulic disc brakes.  My question is, does this kind of brake lever work with mechanical disc brakes (AVID BB7 disc brakes)?

Thanks

Peter J Leiss

Sep 30, 2022, 3:46:10 PM9/30/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I would say no. You will need mechanical cable operated brake levers or change the calipers to hydraulic. Basically Hydraulic brakes work by compressing fluid to initiate the calipers. BB 7 are initiated by cable pull.

Sent from my iPhone