Wide tires on 700c velocity Aeroheat

Steven Tuggle

Nov 7, 2019, 3:09:33 PM11/7/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle
What is the widest tire to run on a velocity Aeroheat rim?  Would a Barlow Pass tire be too wide to run safely?

Steven Tuggle

Nov 7, 2019, 3:11:01 PM11/7/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I meant to say velocity Aerohead rims

Tom Dusky

Nov 7, 2019, 8:31:03 PM11/7/19
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I run Barlow pass 38 mm tires on Son CR 18 and velocity A23 Tim’s with no problem

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 15:09 Steven Tuggle <steven...@hotmail.com> wrote:
What is the widest tire to run on a velocity Aeroheat rim?  Would a Barlow Pass tire be too wide to run safely?

Abe

Nov 7, 2019, 11:41:56 PM11/7/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle
From Peter White:

“The Aerohead is a lightweight racing rim ideal for tires from 20mm wide up to 28mm wide. With wider tires, caliper brakes won't open up enough with the quick release to remove the wheel without deflating the tire. But of course you can still use wider tires.”

So ideal up to 28mm but can certainly go wider.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.php

George Schick

Nov 9, 2019, 3:26:30 PM11/9/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Yeah, I'm running 32mm Pasela's on Areohead rims and I have to deflate the tires every time I remove a wheel (and can't re-inflate 'em until their mounted again).  I'm also running 35mm tires on another bike with Open Pro rims and the same thing applies.  Both bikes have SP brakes.  The 2nd bike even has brake levers with a release lever and they still won't clear the brake pads.  Only way around this that I can think of is if you're using canti' brakes.  But I like both tires and both rims so I just put up with the inconvenience.

Peter White

Nov 11, 2019, 12:09:35 PM11/11/19
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
My Rambouillet has an A23 O/C in back and a Mavic Open Pro in front. I ride with Challenge Parigi-Roubaix tires which are labelled 27mm, but measure between 29mm and 30mm. The brake calipers are Shimano R600. With the rear I can get the tire out using the brake cable barrel adjuster and the QR lever. But since the Open Pro rim is narrower than the A23, I also have to use the QR button on the Campy Ergo shifters to get the wheel out.

So while I ostensibly have QR brakes on my bike, the reality is "not so quick" release.

PJW

Peter White