TA Carmina questions

pb

Jul 2, 2022, 7:48:11 PM7/2/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle

Transferring TA Syrius rings from a pair of Zephyr cranks to a Carmina that I've had sitting on the shelf for years, I find that the chainring shelf on the back of the Carmina spider is very shallow, less than half the depth of the Syrius rings.  Zephyr rings I have on hand appear to have the same thickness, so I conclude the rings are not odd.  The chainring shelf on the back of the Carmina spider is clearly, visibly, much more shallow than on the front, where the chainring sits normally.  To add complexity, this is a triple spider, and possibly because of the missing (?) thickness of the spider, the inner (middle) 110 chainring appears to sit very close to the inner 74 ring.

While on the subject of Carmina cranks, can anybody advise the proper tool for the 8-notch spider lockring?

Thanks

Peter Bridge
Sebastopol California

Peter White

Jul 3, 2022, 7:22:30 AM7/3/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
The Syrius inner ring has no pickup pins, so it's not well suited for the middle position on a triple.

The shelf on the inside of the 110 spider only aids in positioning the inner ring while installing the bolts. The nut provides the centering of the chainring, so not to worry.

If the spacing to the inner ring on the 74mm bolt circle is incorrect, it's because you don't have the right spacers. Zephyr spacers for the inner ring are a different length than for the Carmina.

PJW

Peter White

pb

Jul 3, 2022, 1:56:16 PM7/3/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Peter, thanks for the guidance.  I still need to find the correct tool for the Carmina 8-notch lockring.

Peter Bridge
Sebastopol California

Peter White

Jul 3, 2022, 4:07:50 PM7/3/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Ah! Sorry, I missed that. It's the Shimano XTR bottom bracket tool.

We sell them, and of course we sell the correct spacers and bolts.

--
Peter White

pb

Jul 4, 2022, 2:24:02 PM7/4/22