Bicycle Components

Lee Legrand

Apr 3, 2021, 3:02:13 PM4/3/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

When will bicycle components become available again? Seems like all online stores do not have a thing available.  I could go to a local store but I typically go online to do research first before deciding but everything is out.

rlti...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2021, 6:50:50 PM4/3/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Seems to be hit and miss for me. The brake levers I needed were available but my XT 135 mm quick release skewers are back ordered. I have started keeping a slightly higher amount of consumables like brake/shift cables, tubes, etc. on hand just to be conservative.

 Everything I have read seems to point to this continuing to be an issue for a while.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2021, at 12:02 PM, Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All,

When will bicycle components become available again? Seems like all online stores do not have a thing available.  I could go to a local store but I typically go online to do research first before deciding but everything is out.

Kevin Lindsey

Apr 4, 2021, 5:18:52 AM4/4/21
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Probably not for a while - one bike shop told me that they'd been notified by Shimano that they shouldn't expect regular shipments to resume until 2022.  As I read somewhere, the Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese - who together make virtually all bike components - believe that the high demand for bikes and components is temporary - just another periodic bike boom - and eventually will fade away.  As such, they don't want to expand production for fear that they will be left with excess capacity when interest in bikes drops.
The parts are out there, but you have to hunt around for each one individually.  It's a pain in the neck, but doable.  I've found that the really large shops like REI tend to have more stock available, but even they are getting short on some items.
Hope this helps.
Kevin Lindsey
Alexandria, VA

Bill Sadlick

Apr 4, 2021, 8:28:43 AM4/4/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
That's what I'm seeing too. I was looking at a sram drivetrain from my LBS and they told me QBP could get it early 2022. I was able to find individual components to receive over the next couple weeks if I did my own shopping online. I'd rather give the business to my LBS, but wait until next year??