Bottom Bracket call outs and differences

Lee Legrand

Feb 3, 2021, 9:36:28 AM2/3/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Been looking at a frame for a future bicycle build. It specs BSA 68mm bottom bracket.  Would like to know if frames that spec BSA bottom brackets can use taper ISO or JIS bottom brackets.  It looks that these are interchangeable from BSA to square taper.

Thanks,

Warren Bedell

Feb 3, 2021, 11:03:21 AM2/3/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
They sure can! BSA 68mm is probably the most common BB shell type, and there are BSA 68mm BBs in pretty much every flavor, JIS, Octalink, you name it. It's not an interchangeable thing, BSA refers to the threads on the BB shell of your frame, and square taper, the spindle that interfaces with your crank.

Peter White

Feb 3, 2021, 12:16:44 PM2/3/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

jacques_...@yahoo.com

Feb 6, 2021, 12:23:25 PM2/6/21
to Bicycle Lifestyle
It's amazing what you learn on the internet:

what he said
‘What he said’ – perplexing late 20th/early 21st Century social media phenomenon. Often to be found on social media sites whereby an individual asks either a reasonable question, solicits help with an issue or question, or seeks assistance with a pressing issue. The individual will then be provided with informed and insightful comments from a broad base of contributors. Eventually, the requesting individual will receive a response from a poorly informed (but perhaps well intentioned) contributor, echoing the previous comments stating ‘What he said’.

The exact point of stating ‘What he said’ when what was said had already been said has yet to be fully determined (particularly when what was ‘said’ was perhaps neither true or accurate). It is often considered a phrase used by the inarticulate and confused.
Mr A: ‘Why do we not see white dog poo anymore?’

Contributor 1: ‘White dog poo is the calcium left behind as the water evaporates, and the 'organic' components of the poop are consumed (in various ways) leaving the inorganic stuff behind. But nowadays dogs don't eat as much bone as they used to, including bone meal. Also, tighter regulation on dogs crapping on pavements means that turds don't hang around for years in public places like they used to, giving them less opportunity to dry out and turn white.’

Contributor 2: ‘What he said.’
by Octopus Scott November 12, 2013

Lee Legrand

Feb 6, 2021, 2:09:04 PM2/6/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, BSA 68mm does refer to the bottom bracket shell specification. The frame I was researching said this was the requirement for the bottom bracket and when I looked it up on the internet, I got all these outer cup bottom brackets. Familiar with square taper JIS or ISO spindle with  the same specs but I was not sure if it was saying only outer cup bottom brackets are to be only used and there was another specification for this in terms of the shell.  Confusing but I got it.

Old Coot

Feb 6, 2021, 3:11:40 PM2/6/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
You have left out the possibility in which contributor #1 responded with an complete and accurate response, and contributor's #2 was neither inarticulate nor confused,  but was instead the recognized expert in the field, and their "What he said" response was simply a "seal of approval" for the previous response.

Dave

jacques_...@yahoo.com

Feb 6, 2021, 4:12:33 PM2/6/21
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Hey, I didn't write that. I just cut and pasted from the first Google hit because I found the scatological references  mildly amusing.

Peter White

Feb 8, 2021, 10:49:10 AM2/8/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
What they said.

--
Peter White

Dade Jazzba

Feb 10, 2021, 7:46:08 AM2/10/21
to Bicycle Lifestyle
...and then there are "Karens" who don't understand the value of a second ..."I second that"...

David Lucas

Feb 10, 2021, 11:39:20 AM2/10/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com