Edelux II condensation

Toby Whitfield

Nov 25, 2020, 10:17:43 AM11/25/20
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I recently discovered some condensation on the lens of my headlight after a ride. I'm aware there have been some issues others have had with this light.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way of dealing with it without replacing the light. It is  on a custom bike, wired into the rack and fork with the SON SL system, and to redo it would be a pain.

Any success in dealing with this issue without replacing the light?

Thanks
Toby Whitfield
Toronto, Canada
IMG_20201123_131407.jpg

GTB

Nov 25, 2020, 11:38:22 AM11/25/20
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toby,

I've experienced this issue twice with another manufacturer's lights.

The first time my expensive waterproof light started to collect moisture on the inside of the lens and after a few weeks it quit working.

Contacted the manufacturer but the light was out of warrantee so had to buy a new version.

The new improved redesigned expensive waterproof light started exhibiting the same issue so popped it open and sprayed the internals with a small amount of  Boeshield T-9 and left it open to dry.

Upon reassembly, lubed all entries to housing with vaseline.

Light has been working flawlessly for almost a year and to prevent water egress into electronics, I now wipe vaseline over entry points on a regular basis.

Can't say this will be the solution for your case, but it certainly saved my equipment from ruin.

Semper Birotas!
Marvin
San Diego USA

--

- Marvin Davis
  Semper Birotas

Joe G

Nov 25, 2020, 11:57:37 AM11/25/20
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
How old is the light?  Many states have an implied warrantee that extends far beyond the manufacturers warrantee.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Peter Leiss

Nov 25, 2020, 12:03:07 PM11/25/20
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com, toby.wh...@gmail.com
I would contact Peter White assuming you got the light from him anyway he seems to know all things Edulx

Peter “not White"

Kurt Nordback

Nov 25, 2020, 8:19:22 PM11/25/20
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I had an Edelux II that also got moisture inside. I wasn't worried about it so I ignored it, but after a while the LED got very dim. I can't be sure the dimming was a result of the moisture, though it seems likely.

Anyhow, I sent it back to PJW and he replaced it. I know it's a pain, but I'd recommend doing the same.

Toby Whitfield

Nov 26, 2020, 12:18:21 AM11/26/20
to Peter Leiss, bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter. I did get in touch with Peter White Cycles, and looks
like I'm going to have to send the light back to them for replacement
- if I try to do anything to dry it out, it will void the warranty.
Looks like I'll just have to deal with the rewiring.

Toby