Thru Axle

Lee Legrand

Mar 27, 2023, 8:50:24 PM3/27/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Want to clarify my understanding of the use of thru axles.  I thought they were only used on bicycle frames with disk brakes.  Is this correct or can disk brakes or disk brakes can work with quick release skewers?

Thanks in Advance

Khalid

Peter J Leiss

Mar 27, 2023, 8:57:28 PM3/27/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I have a tandem and two single bikes with Quick Release and disk brakes. They work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone

Lee Legrand

Mar 28, 2023, 11:39:45 AM3/28/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was not asking that particularly. I was asking if disk brakes work solely with thru axle or can they work with quick release skewer as well.

Warren Bedell

Mar 28, 2023, 11:57:48 AM3/28/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Specifically, in front brakes, the position of the brake caliper, and the rearward-facing opening common with QR forks work together to nudge the axle out of position during hard braking, sometimes completely (ouch). "Lawyer-lips" (the tabs on your fork that prevent the wheel from falling off if you don't secure the QR) help; thru-axles solve the issue.

So, if you have QR and disc brakes, confirm your wheels are nice and secure often- but probably do that anyway with all the bikes.

pb

Aug 5, 2023, 4:45:00 PM8/5/23
to Bicycle Lifestyle
On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 8:39:45 AM UTC-7 Lee Legrand wrote:
Well, I was not asking that particularly. I was asking if disk brakes work solely with thru axle or can they work with quick release skewer as well.

I have a mountain bike that's about ten years old, with SRAM X9, Elixir disk brakes, and QRs.  Works fine, has always worked fine, not one issue.  On the other hand, I get the manufacturer's argument for through axles.  I'm careful to check the QRs relatively regularly.

Peter Bridge

Steve Palincsar

Aug 5, 2023, 4:47:13 PM8/5/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

Yes there are bikes with quick release and disc brakes.  My friend's Pinarello Dogma 8 is set up that way.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

rlti...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2023, 9:56:03 PM8/5/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I have had loads of bikes with disc brakes and quick releases and have never had any issues.

I have a couple of bikes with discs and thru axles and don’t really see the supposed benefit with rotor/caliper alignment either. Thru axles make aligning the rotor slightly easier but I never had anyissues with rotor rub on my quick release bikes.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone