Hemingway Quote

George Schick

Feb 6, 2018, 1:49:56 PM2/6/18
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Any Earnest Hemingway fans on here?  I'm looking for a quote (and the novel it is from) where Hemingway (a big bicycle racing fan) says something about there being "enough money to go around" or some similar wording, implying that the races were a bit rigged in favor of allowing various racers to win - or a least place well - periodically in order to keep things even in the sport.

kenneth hodgkins

Mar 8, 2018, 3:51:42 PM3/8/18
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hola soy topollillo ;D

El 06/02/2018 12:50, "George Schick" <bhi...@gmail.com> escribió:
Any Earnest Hemingway fans on here?  I'm looking for a quote (and the novel it is from) where Hemingway (a big bicycle racing fan) says something about there being "enough money to go around" or some similar wording, implying that the races were a bit rigged in favor of allowing various racers to win - or a least place well - periodically in order to keep things even in the sport.

Ken Freeman

Mar 10, 2018, 6:17:34 AM3/10/18
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Did Hemingway cycle?  I could see him as a Land's End to John O'Groats guy.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA
--
Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

Steve Palincsar

Mar 10, 2018, 7:01:32 AM3/10/18
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
He attended cycling races, it's mentioned in A Moveable Feast. Likely he
rode bicycles for transportation.

On 03/10/2018 06:17 AM, Ken Freeman wrote:
> Did Hemingway cycle?  I could see him as a Land's End to John O'Groats
> guy.
>
> Ken Freeman
> Ann Arbor, MI USA
> --

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA

apja...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 1:34:49 PM5/29/18
to Bicycle Lifestyle
You may be thinking of this passage in "The Sun Also Rises," near the beginning of Book III, after the narrator, Jake Barnes, has left the festival of San Fermin and all his friends, having betrayed his own principles for the woman he loves, but who does not love him: "There was a bicycle race on, the Tour du Pays Basque, and the riders were stopping the night in San Sebastian. In the dining room, at one side, there was a long table of bicycle riders, eating with their trainers and managers. They were all French and Belgians, and paid close attention tot heir meal, but they were having a good time . . .  The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves. They had raced among themselves so often that it did not make much difference who won. Especially in a foreign country. The money could be arranged."  Hemingway cycled a little, as I understand it, and enjoyed attending six-day races, but he wasn't nearlya s passionate about it as he was for bullfighting, boxing, and fishing.

Best,

Anton

arnoldwi...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2019, 10:45:43 PM4/9/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle

arnoldwi...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2019, 10:45:43 PM4/9/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 1:49:56 PM UTC-5, George Schick wrote:
Any Earnest Hemingway fans on here?  I'm looking for a quote (and the novel it is from) where Hemingway (a big bicycle racing fan) says something about there being "enough money to go around" or some similar wording, implying that the races were a bit rigged in favor of allowing various racers to win - or a least place well - periodically in order to keep things even in the sport.
He also said he liked bull fighting and boxing. Blood sports. I guess it could be said that bicycle racing at that time was also a blood sport. He loved big fish fishing and purchased a boat he named the pillar for that purpose. He could take a beating and believe me when you hook into a plus hundred lb fish in hundred degree weather is punishment. However Arnold Gingrech who published esquire mag said of Hemmingway said would always blame his equipment rather than himself when the fish broke him off rather than saluting the fish that was able to fight and best him. He would also take it out on everyone else aboard. where as if the contest when his way he "was willing to raise everyone else as fine fellows." I don't remember his ever racing bicycles or ever riding one. He could and did however fight and take a beating in the ring and in some cases when he was to old to be participating in such things. All in all I don't think id have cared to spend much time around him. I think he was a deeply flawed man. Nothing new there. I suppose there are a lot of deeple

arnoldwi...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2019, 10:45:43 PM4/9/19
to Bicycle Lifestyle