SONdelux Wide Body vs SON 28

Ed Fausto

Aug 6, 2022, 12:46:56 AM8/6/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Hi,
I have scanned the forum but could not find any discussion comparing the 2 hubs.
I plan to have a 26" wheel build (36 spoke Cliffhanger rim brake) for my size 50 MIT Atlantis to be used for multi months long touring.  Will be using the SON hub with IQ-X Senso Plus LED Headlight and maybe a Sinewave revolution USB charger.

Which of the two SON hub (delux vs 28) would be more suited for my application?

TIA
Ed Fausto

Toshi Takeuchi

Aug 7, 2022, 7:06:08 PM8/7/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle

I think with the 26" wheel size, you will be just fine with the SON delux.

Toshi

Ed Fausto

Aug 7, 2022, 10:44:46 PM8/7/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Thanks Toshi!
I appreciate the link :-)

rlti...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2022, 12:00:07 AM8/8/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I don’t experience with the Deluxe but have the SON 28 on my touring bike. The 28 powers a Sinewave Beacon light which has a USB outlet to charge devices.

Due to life getting in the way I don’t have a lot of touring miles where I used the charging function but when I did it worked pretty well with the 28.

The bike this is on is an off-road touring bike with fat tires and a Rohloff hub so if the 28 has more drag than the Deluxe I would never notice it.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2022, at 9:46 PM, Ed Fausto <emfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed Fausto

Aug 8, 2022, 1:21:41 AM8/8/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Thanks Robert,
All of my bikes uses either the SONdelux or SONdelux wide body.
I don't have any experience with SON 28.
If I was aware that the SON 28 produces more current even on slow speed, I would have used it for my TransAm tour last 2016,

Thanks :-)