Re: {BL} Digest for bicyclelifestyle@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 1 topic

David Duncan

Mar 10, 2021, 10:47:12 PM3/10/21
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I don't have fixed gear but I do ride 700x28 on city streets, many in very rough shape. I ride tubeless tires, inflated to ~60 psi. It's quite comfortable and a great ride. Lower pressure makes a big difference.

David Duncan

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 7:48 PM <bicyclel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 03:04PM -0500

Hello All,

I have been looking at the fixed gear culture watching people ride, without
front brakes. It is cool but before anyone reacts, I disagree with riding
fixed gear without front brakes. Back to the topic, I have been looking at
frames that are specifically fixed gear and all of them appear to be only
700c with tire width up to 28mm in size and are urban bicycles. The tire
size does not make sense unless you are primarily in a velodrome and riding
on smooth surfaces. Asphalt streets are not since they are uneven and
depending on where you are have pot holes. 700c tires for 28mm seems to be
not enough for a comfortable ride in that it absorbs shocks from riding. I
have seen fixed gear riders use them on the streets without issue but would
like to see how others think about it. Also, the different size frames for
the same size wheel for fixie? Why? Lastly, it appears but seeking
confirmation on this, that to ride fixie requires a higher bottom bracket
to prevent pedal strike against pavement.
Tom Dusky <tdu...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 03:37PM -0500

Have you thought about a 650b conversion. You could have the front fork
drilled for a brake as well. The 650b will also lower your bottom bracket
Tom Dusky

Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 03:42PM -0500

Hi Tom,

I do not have a 650B but I would think this would be an issue, I do not
know as of yet. The bottom bracket on a road bicycle is typically low and
conversion to a fixie may present a problem with pedal strike on the ground.

Thanks,

Ryan Good <rcgo...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 12:09PM -0800

I have a Surly Steamroller and it has clearance for tires up to 38mm.
Pre-COVID, it was my daily commuter- it's about as close to
zero-maintenance as you can get for a bike, and inexpensive enough that if
it were stolen it wouldn't be the end of the world. I have a front brake on
it, but as I got more used to riding it, I used the brake less and less. In
fact, I can't remember the last time I used it. I keep it there for
emergency stops, but I'd feel comfortable riding without a brake in most
situations.

--
Dan Vee <dane...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 03:09PM -0500

Hey.

I have a 650b 42-48 fixed gear bike. It is rando bike geo with lowish
trail and works fine on the road with a 270 ish bb height. I think it
helps that low trail bikes are more of a hand steering feel than a heavy
lean which helps with clearance (clipless pedals and shorter cranks also.).
I do ride brakeless most of the time . I also have a track bike with 32c
tires. But personally prefer the wider tires as a ride off road fixed a
lot also.

Dan Vee <dane...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 04:34PM -0500

A steam roller will also fit a 650b 48 tire in some rim width/tire choice
combos.

Crust Single Speed/fixed lightning bolt fits 650b 48/ 700c 35.

I also recently even saw an old touring bike conversion on Instagram fixed
gear with 700x42! Big boy clearance. Some old 27” wheeled bikes could make
good conversions for that and bb would probably end up a little
Higher if anything.

Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 04:40PM -0500

So if you can ride 650B bicycles with fixed gear, why the high bottom
bracket? Are you experiencing pedal strikes on turns or sharp turns with
these conversions with 650B, with skinnier tires like 35mm?

Dan Vee <dane...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 05:15PM -0500

I’ve never ridden a tire skinnier than a 42 in 650b. I’ve never had the
problem with pedal strike on my current bike but it’s also gonna depend
where and how you ride. I’ve definitely had pedal strikes on the road in
nyc on my traxk bike before but you do a lot more dipping and diving and
maneuvering in nyc traffic than you do just riding regular roads. I don’t
think a slightly lower bb is something you’ll notice too much. As I said
my bb height is about 270mm on my 6FixieB.

Tom Dusky <tdu...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 06:32PM -0500

Most road and track bikes have fairly high bottom brackets. Here is a good
article to reference to.

Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 06:41PM -0500

You forgot to add the article Tom.

Tom Dusky <tdu...@gmail.com>: Mar 10 07:27PM -0500