White Industries ENO Eccentric Flip Flop rear hub

Lee Legrand

Jul 31, 2022, 11:16:18 AM7/31/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Interested in a future fixed gear bicycle that is a road frame with vertical rear drop outs.  Would like to use a frame as a fixed gear bicycle.  The solution to using a road frame, other than a track frame that has horizontal drop out in the back, is to use the White Industries ENO Eccentric rear hub.  From the website, it appears that with this hub, you can only use proprietary fixed gear splines from White industries.  Can anyone confirm that I am wrong?  I do not like the idea of using solely proprietary stuff that can become unavailable in the future. If they can use both, I would prefer to use standard industry parts with the option of proprietary.

Thanks

Dan Vee

Jul 31, 2022, 5:48:57 PM7/31/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hey

Yea you are correct.  I’ve owned a bike that was 120mm spaced and used white industries track hubs with the white industries splined cogs. I don’t know that I’d worry about them becoming unavailable and it’s not to not have to worry about stripping the lockring off with the splined design.  If anything it really is a better overall design for fixed cog/hub interface.

-Dan

Lee Legrand

Aug 1, 2022, 12:05:48 PM8/1/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Dan.

I was checking all over the internet about this and everything confirms what you said.  But!  Peter White has a picture of this same hub with a White Industry freewheel on one side and a fixed gear cog on the other side that is EAI, not White Industries.  It could have been an early iteration that is no longer made.  I do not know.

Dan Vee

Aug 1, 2022, 12:28:22 PM8/1/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I believe that is the case.