Re: {BL} Alternative to Brooks saddle tension spanner

Message has been deleted

Brian Ogilvie

Jun 2, 2011, 12:19:07 PM6/2/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I can't answer your question, but as a frequent traveler to the UK I
feel obliged to point out that "spanner" is not at all archaic. It's
the British word for what we call a "wrench" in North America.
Similarly, in the UK a derailleur is a mech (or mechanism), and
fenders are mudguards. Sidewalks are pavements, lawns are gardens, an
elevator is a lift, and there is nothing salacious about being knocked
up.

As Shaw supposedly said, "England and America are two countries
separated by a common language."

Brian

--
Brian W. Ogilvie <bwog...@gmail.com>
Hadley, Massachusetts, USA

Steve Palincsar

Jun 2, 2011, 2:36:04 PM6/2/11
On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 06:29 -0700, BCDrums wrote:
> I have a Brooks saddle and just got the spanner- a wonderful, archaic
> word for the cheapest, crudest possible stamped metal wrench. This
> thing is so badly made that it won't fit onto the 1/2" tension bolt. I
> want to know if anyone has been able to adjust a Brooks with a box
> wrench. Will a box wrench fit up under there?
>
> My Brooks is a B17, has a few years on it, may need a quarter turn!

This is what you need, right here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoorider/5460932349/

And see the 2nd comment on this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollinondemtwenties/5445906824/

Taylor Winfield

Jun 2, 2011, 5:26:03 PM6/2/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
And a Crescent wrench is a "shifting spanner" and Vise-Grips are "mole grips" , NMD electrical cable is "flex", and a box-end wrench is a "ring spanner" and I could go on. . .

Bilingual John Alldredge (lifelong Anglophile and husband of a Yorkshire woman)

Peter Jon White

Jun 2, 2011, 7:09:37 PM6/2/11
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I think a roadway traffic rotary is called an "orbital."

And a frumpy old woman wearing a silly hat is called a "queen."

Very odd.

On Jun 2, 5:26 pm, Taylor Winfield <taylorwinfi...@ymail.com> wrote:
> And a Crescent wrench is a "shifting spanner" <snip>

BCDrums

Jun 2, 2011, 10:02:24 PM6/2/11
to Bicycle Lifestyle
After I posted this question I looked hard at the saddle again and
realized that a box wrench would never work, and I removed the post
out of embarrassment. Then I fiddled with the Brooks wrench for a
while. The wrench is less poorly made on one side, and I was able to
fit it onto the nut.

The Campy wrench looks like an actual tool. The comment in the second
photo mentions 14mm, but I think the tension nut is 1/2", closer to
13mm.

I saw this picture of another Brooks spanner:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoorider/5461535148/in/photostream/

So I was able to tension my saddle (but not TOO much!). The tension
pin was completely slack. I gave it about 3/4 turn, just enough to
detect a difference in the feel (by hand) of the saddle. 3/4 turn
extended the pin by 1.5mm.

Will test it with the keester tomorrow.

BC
tensed

ken.steinhoff

Jun 2, 2011, 10:06:52 PM6/2/11
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I had to tension my saddle when I overdid the Proofide on initial
break-in.

http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/adjusting-a-brooks-champion-flyer-saddle/

Like you discovered, there is a big difference between "not elegant"
and doesn't work.

RobinL

Jun 2, 2011, 10:25:16 PM6/2/11
to Bicycle Lifestyle
No, it's a roundabout. (The circular obstacle in the road, that is,
not the octogenarian monarch.)
Message has been deleted

Martin Bernstein

Jun 3, 2011, 1:23:30 AM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how the difference is 1/2" between 13 mm and 14 mm as mm is a smaller unit than an inch.  Perhaps that .5 mm?

But I have noticed that my spanner does not fit into the space on my Brooks Professional.

BCDrums

Jun 3, 2011, 8:07:54 AM6/3/11
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On Jun 3, 1:23 am, Martin Bernstein <centri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder how the difference is 1/2" between 13 mm and 14 mm as mm is a
> smaller unit than an inch.  Perhaps that .5 mm?
>

> > The Campy wrench looks like an actual tool. The comment in the second
> > photo mentions 14mm, but I think the tension nut is 1/2", closer to
> > 13mm.
>
> > I saw this picture of another Brooks spanner:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoorider/5461535148/in/photostream/
>
> > So I was able to tension my saddle (but not TOO much!). The tension
> > pin was completely slack. I gave it about 3/4 turn, just enough to
> > detect a difference in the feel (by hand) of the saddle. 3/4 turn
> > extended the pin by 1.5mm.

Mind the comma, Martin!

BC
Imperial

Peter White

Jun 3, 2011, 8:12:55 AM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I wondered about that after I clicked on "send". I think perhaps an "orbital" is what they call a highway that circles a major city. For London, that would be the M25. For Boston, it's Routes 128 and 495.

Peter White

Martin Bernstein

Jun 3, 2011, 11:23:32 AM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, BC.  Got it.  However, the problem I still have is that you mix English unit with metric.  I would have used one or the other, probably metric.  However it's your story.

Keith Ayres

Jun 3, 2011, 11:40:57 AM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
You wanna see a proper roundabout?

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=115&ss=289

> --

Keith Ayres
Oxfordshire, UK
Thorn Raven, Argos, Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate

Taylor Winfield

Jun 3, 2011, 6:23:37 PM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
The highway that circles a city in the UK is called a "ring road".

John Alldredge

Jun 3, 2011, 6:32:26 PM6/3/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Assuming that a 1/2" wrench or bolt head is really exactly that size, then a 13mm wrench is theoretically .3 (three tenths) of a mm LARGER than 1/2". Usually not enough to matter.

Often you can also get away with using a 14mm wrench on a 9/16" bolt or nut as well.

Nearly all of my dimensioned tools are metric and I seldom bother to hunt up an inch-sized one no matter on what I happen to be working.

The only exception is for lug nuts on my truck and trailer - for those I have inch-sized impact sockets.

John Alldredge

Jun 13, 2011, 11:31:50 AM6/13/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

Further to all of this, I had nothing better to do the other evening,
so I cut a 90 degree segment out of an old 13mm ring spanner. The
open-ended spanner on the other end was a very snug fit on the saddle
nut, without sufficient clearance to turn it. The 13mm ring wouldn't
go onto the nut. Further investigation
http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conversion%20charts.htm
leads me to belive that the nut may be a Whitworth size - 1/4"
Whitworth is given as 13.34mm.

I'm not going to buy a Whitworth spanner and cut bits off of it to
prove or disprove this theory.

Paul van Zweel

Jun 13, 2011, 2:35:22 PM6/13/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
 If 1" is 25.4 mm then surely 1/2"  must be 12.7mm. A simple calculation in the metric world.

Steve Palincsar

Jun 13, 2011, 4:48:23 PM6/13/11
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Get the Campagnolo wrench. It will last you your lifetime and you can
pass it down to your grand children.

> >> So I was able to tension my saddle (but not TOO much!)..

> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bicyclelifestyle
> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/bicyclelifestyle?hl=en.

RobinL