Alfine IGH hubs,

Lee Legrand

Oct 4, 2022, 10:03:37 AM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Would like to know from those knowledgeable about the above hub, how serviceable are they?  If the hub was to become non-functional because of wear and tear, although maintenance was performed, are the parts replaceable or do you need to purchase a new rim, spokes and hub?  What is the typical mileage can you get from this hub before replacement?

Thanks

Khalid

John Eickelberg

Oct 4, 2022, 1:37:22 PM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I have experience with alfine 7, 8 and 11.  All use a modular gear train assembly that can be swapped into the housing if the original is worn out. The 7 and 8 are grease boxes and mine were working well after ~15k miles when I upgraded. The 11 is an oil box and mine broke a gear tooth early on.  Shimano sent me a new gear assembly which ran for over 20k miles.  The housing developed a circumferential crack at 33k miles which dumped the oil and disconnected the brake disk; an astonishing failure mode.  None of these are maintenance free.  I serviced mine annually with about 4.5k miles.  These are a great all weather solution and allow use of belt drive.

J. Eickelberg via mobile device.
Please forgive rampant typos.

Lee Legrand

Oct 4, 2022, 1:45:53 PM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your email. I am glad that it does not require another wheel. Aware of maintenance but was not sure if the parts could be replaced when it wears out without the whole wheel being chucked.

Khalid

Peter Bense

Oct 4, 2022, 1:59:12 PM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I have a Nexus 8 with needle bearings (what used to be marketed/packaged as the "red band" premium version.)

Mine is a Shimano Nexus SG-C6011-8V/8R.  I do not think this hub is sold or distributed in the US.  I am in Sweden and ordered mine from a German retailer: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Nexus-SG-C6011-8V-8R-Internally-Geared-Hub-p52821/?o=300012-silver-36-hole

At current exchange-rates that hub is less than $160 which is totally amazing for what it is.  (I used a price alert feature and got mine for $141 about a year and a half ago.)

From everything I've understood the internals of this hub are essentially identical/interchangeable with the Alfine 8.

I have been riding on it for city use and completely love it and think this kind of environment is probably where it is best suited.  (I previously owned two Rohloffs and got rid of them because they felt sluggish to me.)  I use mine with a Hebie chainglider which completely encloses the chain.  I wish I had discovered this setup years ago.

I am only indirectly speaking to your inquiry about the Alfine 11, mainly to state that:
  • The Nexus 8 is also worth considering.
  • They don't feel as robust as a Rohloff but are much, much smoother and feel more efficient to my legs.
  • At their price point you could just buy an extra one and swap out the entire internal assembly if you ever ran into issues.
I think if you found a European retailer willing to ship one to the US you could get it for even less than $156 since they wouldn't have to charge you EU VAT.

Good luck!

-Peter

Lee Legrand

Oct 4, 2022, 3:13:01 PM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  I was actually eyeing Alfine 8, not 11.  I am interested in a folding bicycle from the UK, Airnimal, for multi-modal commuting or when I need to drop my car off for repair, I can pack a bicycle and ride home instead of waiting.  Maybe I can get it cheaper if I order directly from the UK, who knows.

Khalid

Lee Legrand

Oct 4, 2022, 8:10:43 PM10/4/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Just looked at the link you gave. Would be nice accept, it is not disc brake compatible.