Re: {BL} Digest for bicyclelifestyle@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

clayton bailey

Nov 10, 2023, 9:38:39 PM11/10/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
From what I understand, larger rings and cogs, bend the chain links slightly less, reducing friction, and increasing efficiency.  Pretty minuscule advantage, but it’s technically there.

As far as the ‘other blog’, I read the 2 to1 ratio as a set up for a single speed touring bike?

The Rohlhoff is a well sorted hub.  It’s been used for heavily laden, off road expedition touring around the world.  I think it should easily handle any increased torque by lowering your gearing on a recumbent.

That’s the extent of my knowledge about the Rohlhoff.

I get it.  Lower gearing rules.  My knees are done.  I have to keep my cadence high, to not cry.

Spin to win!

On Friday, November 10, 2023, 4:48 PM, bicyclel...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Mark Bromley <directi...@gmail.com>: Nov 09 04:39PM -0800

Hi,

I'm new to the group and just ordered a bike with a Rohloff Speedhub. I'm
a long time tourer and Rivendell owner (built up beautifully many years ago
by Peter White Cycles) But with old age fast approaching I've ordered a new
HP Velotechnik Streetmachine recumbent with Rohloff and would like to adapt
the stock 46 chainring and 16 tooth cog to achieve lower gearing

I'm after a low gear gear inch number close to 15 or 16. One supplier
recommended keeping the chainring at the stock 46 and switching out the cog
at the hub for a 21 ( yields a low gear inch of 15.5)

A touring blog mentioned that they had switched to a 39 chainring and 18 or
19 cog . I was thinking of a 38 chainring and a 19 cog which yields a very
low gear inch number of 14.2.

A similar blog, If I understand it correctly, - said you should look for
a 2:1 relationship for chainring to cog for touring to produce a suitable
low gear.

The 46/21 combo option was noted as perhaps a little more "efficient" but
I'm not sure why - so that is one question.

Thoughts?

What is Rohloff's limit ? Do either of these combo's exceed the Manf.
limit?
If its a toque issue i would think I'd have trouble introducing Max torque
in a recumbent position.

I sure would appreciate any advice the group can offer.

Mark Bromley

Nov 11, 2023, 7:01:27 PM11/11/23
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Clayton!