Observations of the Sinewave Cycles Revolution Charger

Sylvain

Jun 24, 2020, 10:05:27 AM6/24/20
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I just wanted to share my observations of the Sinewave Cycles Revolution charger which I have been using for 2 or more years now. First my setup:

  • SON 28 Hub
  • SON Edelux II Headlight (Connected to the Hub)
  • B&M Toplight Line Brake Plus (Connected to the Headlight)
  • Sinewave Cycles Revolution USB charger (Connected to the Hub in parallel with the Headlight)
  • All wiring is SON coaxial wiring with Coaxial connectors where possible
In my observations, it is better to either use the Sinewave charger OR the lighting system. Here is why; The Sinewave Revolutions has electronics in it that make it wait 15 seconds once power output is strong enough (from the hub) to start charging, this is to prevent damages to the electronics of your phone or gadget.  If you are running the lights and the USB charging at the same time you get a noticeable drop in light performance once the USB charging kicks in.  The lights then quickly return to normal intensity afterwards, however, it can be distracting to have your light intensity change while riding.

The second observation is that when then Edelux II is on the automatic function (the light turns on when the environment is dark enough) and the light turns on because you are going through a tunnel for instance, then the Sinewave Revolutions with interrupt charging since it has encountered a significant change in current coming in and will wait 15 seconds before restarting the charging process.

My conclusions is that, while it is possible to use the Sinewave Cycles Revolution charger at night with the Edelux II light, I tend to avoid it as much as possible, since the change in light intensity, especially in situations where there are frequent start/stop it can be distracting and could lead to trouble seeing things on the road.

If you are using it during the day while the lights are on the automatic function then I suggest employing a passthrough USB battery power bank between your charger and whatever you wish to charge, so that your device receives consistent and uninterrupted power.  I use the Goal Zero Venture 30

The best time to use the Sinewave charger is when the lights are in the off position, but I still recommend using a passthrough USB battery power bank.  In that setup I have successfully used my phone running, Spotify with Bluetooth connection, Strava with GPS enabled and Google Maps for turn by turn navigation with GPS enabled.  This was running for 10 hours continuously and power was never an issue. Of course, my lights were off since this was a daytime trip.

I hope this can be useful to someone!

GT B

Jun 24, 2020, 3:08:23 PM6/24/20
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, Sylvain.

Great tip on the Goal Zero Venture 30 for pass through charging. I have also recently discovered this great little USB power bank and although there is room for improvement, it seems to be one of the best options currently available.

Another versatile power bank I find indispensable for bicycling is the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus. Haven’t tried it on dynahub yet; however, one of the key features of this power bank is it uses AA/AAA rechargeable batteries. Once charged, these batteries may be transferred to devices using AA batteries (NiteRider Mako 250, B&M TopLight Line AA) or connected via USB to charge mobile devices. In a pinch, regular AA may be used in the Guide 10 Plus for recharging mobile devices.

Semper Birotas!

- Marvin Davis
  Semper Birotas