3-foot passing, Full Lane Change, and stop-as-yield... which states have them?

Serge Issakov

Apr 6, 2021, 1:49:05 PM4/6/21
to Cabo Forum, BicycleDriving, Mighk Wilson, j...@jimdodsonlaw.com
Mighk Wilson just shared this source with me; passing it on.

This article identifies the states which have 3-foot passing laws:

In 1973, Wisconsin became the first state to enact such a law; several more states have since enacted such measures. As of February 2021, 33 states—Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming—and the District of Columbia have enacted passing laws that require the motorist to leave at least 3-feet or more when passing a bicyclist.

But it also mentions which states require the golden full lane change to pass bikes:

Additionally, five states, Delaware, Kentucky, Nevada, Oklahoma and Washington, require a motorist to completely change lanes when passing a bicyclist if there is more than one lane proceeding in the same direction.

While we're talking about bike-related laws unique to a small number of states, according to LAB (thanks to Jim Dodson for this link), these are the five states that currently have the Idaho stop-as-yield laws: Arkansas, Delaware*, Idaho, Oregon, Washington

* Only on 2-lane roads

Serge

Kat Iverson

Apr 6, 2021, 2:08:03 PM4/6/21
to Serge Issakov, Cabo Forum, BicycleDriving, Mighk Wilson, j...@jimdodsonlaw.com
Oregon has had a so-called safe bicycle passing law since 2008.  8 11.065, Unsafe passing of person operating bicycle, requires passing at either 35mph or less, or passing at a distance sufficient to clear the cyclist if he falls over.  There is an exception--neither of these applies if the cyclist is in a bike lane.  I guess bike lane stripes project a magic force shield.

Kat Iverson, Hillsboro, Oregon

To post: bicycle...@googlegroups.com
Only rule: no personal commentary (please comment about content, not people)

Group website: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving
Discussion archives: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/topics?hl=en
Glossary: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/web/glossary
Links: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/web/links

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BicycleDriving" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bicycledriving/CAEy9bH6b4VKKXqNHrtq8N5M%3DauBB1b77HX2mzpxv3SSX5kmFXQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Serge Issakov

Apr 6, 2021, 4:54:34 PM4/6/21
to Adam Bickett, BicycleDriving, Cabo Forum, Mighk Wilson, j...@jimdodsonlaw.com
Not that I know of. As I can tell it’s hardly ever enforced . A few years ago there was a focussed effort in some town in Texas if I recall correctly, but that was pretty unusual. They had a cop decoy on a bike ride and report anyone who passed them too closely and then a patrol car would pull them over.  But I’ve always felt the main value of the law was informational. Also makes any actual sideswipe a blatant violation.

Serge

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Adam Bickett <abic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have any states given statistics on the number of citations issued for the 3-feet  or full lane passing laws?

Adam