Re: Dooring in 🇦🇺

Serge Issakov

Feb 8, 2019, 10:54:19 AM2/8/19
to BicycleDriving, F Lehnerz, jpen...@sdsu.edu
Why is the advice to motorists to check  before they open their doors?

The advice should be to the people who have skin in the game: ride at least five feet from parked cars!

Serge

Andrew R Stewart

Feb 8, 2019, 11:32:46 AM2/8/19
to Serge Issakov, BicycleDriving, F Lehnerz, jpen...@sdsu.edu
Serge- As a door opener I have skin in the game too. I don’t want to see my door crashed into by either a cyclist or another vehicle. So I see the advice being about taking care of yourself to a degree. Just like advising a cyclist to avoid the door zone. Same goal. Andy

Andrew R Stewart
Rochester, New York
USA
To post: bicycle...@googlegroups.com
Only rule: no personal commentary (please comment about content, not people)

Group website: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving
Discussion archives: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/topics?hl=en
Glossary: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/web/glossary
Links: http://groups.google.com/group/bicycledriving/web/links

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BicycleDriving" group.

Serge Issakov

Feb 8, 2019, 11:41:01 AM2/8/19
to Andrew R Stewart, BicycleDriving, F Lehnerz, jpen...@sdsu.edu
Well, the other consideration is the odds a given motorist who never checks will door someone vs the odds a given door zone cyclist will get doored.  I think the cyclist  is probably at least 100 times more likely to be doored than the motorist is to ever door anyone.

People tend not to take precautions for extremely unlikely events.

Serge

Wayne Pein

Feb 8, 2019, 2:30:36 PM2/8/19
to bicycle...@googlegroups.com
A completely open road, and they blithley rode abreast in a DZBL, lured
by the false sense of security and zero awareness of an obvious hazard.

Wayne

Kat Iverson

Feb 8, 2019, 4:02:44 PM2/8/19
to bicycle...@googlegroups.com
One commenter said, "Getting doored is a cyclists constant fear."  I never worry about getting doored--I never ride in the door zone.

Another commenter said the inside cyclist was too close to the parked cars, but it looked to me that even the outside cyclist was close enough to get at least his handlebar clipped, and that would be enough to make him crash.  Besides, who would want to take any bets on how far from the parked cars either of them would have ridden if they had ridden single file.

Of course, like Andrew said, it's still good advice to motorists to check before opening their doors, and I suspect that they do check when parked on very narrow streets, where they know the moving cars are closer to them.

Kat Iverson

Serge Issakov

Feb 8, 2019, 4:27:37 PM2/8/19
to Kat Iverson, BicycleDriving
Here's Cycliq's post of the video (and comments) on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Cycliq/videos/341342563387183d

Serge