Urban design and cycling

John Forester

Aug 1, 2017, 6:36:05 PM8/1/17
to BicycleDriving
It is often imagined that a very strong anti-motoring ideology coupled
with massive funding of rapid urban mass transit will reduce motoring.
My rejection of anti-motoring ideology and my rejection of mass rapid
transit funding are seen as failures in my pro-cycling theories. A paper
written by authors whom I admire, concerning transit rather than
cycling, illustrates my views. These are not the dominant views in urban
planning, which I find appalling, but represent the views of those who
have paid attention to modern developments in urban patterns. As an
amateur, I developed my views over many years, only to discover that
others with better qualifications than mine had developed their views
along the same lines.

This paper may be found at:
https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/_files/cdp-transit-web-sm.pdf

This paper definitely shows that massive funding of rapid urban mass
transit, whether combined with anti-motoring ideology or not, has had no
effect in reducing motoring.

--
John Forester, MS, PE
Bicycle Transportation Engineer

John Allen

Aug 1, 2017, 11:11:41 PM8/1/17
to John Forester, BicycleDriving
Nonetheless unsustainable. We have found the enemy and he is us, as
Walt Kelly said.
John S. Allen

Technical Writer/Editor, http://sheldonbrown.com

CyclingSavvy Instructor
League Cycling Instructor #77-C
Member, Board of Directors, Charles River Wheelers

jsallen *at* bikexprt.com
http://bikexprt.com
http://john-s-allen.com/blog
http://streetsmarts.bostonbiker.org

---

John Allen

Aug 2, 2017, 7:36:12 PM8/2/17
to John Forester, BicycleDriving
The paper assumes that the value of the time spent in commuting is
equal for different modes. How can it be measured? Its value isn't
the same for all modes, or for everyone's experience of a mode. It is
possible to do white-collar work or read when a passenger. But there
is also the time spent getting to/form transit stations, and waiting.
Driving requires attention, though it doesn't always get the
attention it needs. The reputed love affair with the car counts as a
kind of fetishism, or love of the thrill of speed. Few people,
though, enjoy driving under urban conditions. Listening to a radio or
audiobook is possible. Bicycling also requries attention. Some people
do ti because they have no alternative, and others find it enjoyable
in and of itself, a point which Forester has eloquently stated.