Mayem, Poira farmers block mining traffic

samir umarye

May 19, 2019, 3:05:37 AM5/19/19
to bich...@googlegroups.com, Goa Net

--
Samir Umarye

BICHOLIM: About 200-odd farmers from Poira Bicholim today halted the transportation of mining ore through their village demanding with the company to provide them with compensation for their damaged farms.

Today the farmers under the banner of All India Kisan Sabha Mayem unit halted the transportation of the ore at Poira. The farmers placed stones on the road and also set in the middle of the road not allowing the trucks to move forward.

Tension erupted when the truck drivers also started arguing with the farmers for not allowing the transport. The drivers told that the farmers should sought out the matter with the company rather than taking them to task.  The farmers also confronted the truck drivers and insisted that they would not allow the transport till their demands are met.

It may be stated that one of the mining company has already settled the farmers by giving them their due compensation while the mining company in question was also asked by the Bicholim mamletdar to provide them with compensation. The company on the other hand the company challenged the order in the higher court.

Speaking to media Kisan Sabha Mayem president, Kamlakant Gadekar told that they had given the mining company several demands but they were not fulfilled. “We had asked them to provide us with compensation, desilt the lake from the village but the company has not fulfilled out damands. There is report from the agricultural department and before ore transportation our issues should be resolved” Gadekar told.

“There are too many trucks plying through our village and even accidents occur in the area. We will not keep quite till the company provides us with compensation which amounts to about 1.29 crore.” Gadekar said.

Later, in the evening the Bicholim Mamletdar, Pravinjay Pandit convened a meeting with the stake holders and tried to resolve the issue. “I have tried to resolve the matter amicably after the meeting with the company officials and the farmers”  Bicholim mamletdar, Pravinjay Pandit told.