PLEASE RSVP / DINNER TUESDAY: Reservation at Legal Seafoods / April 5, 7 p.m.

Bill Densmore

Apr 1, 2011, 9:34:25 PM4/1/11
to BiblioNews List

Suzie Katz asks, below, if people arriving on Tuesday for "Beyond Books"
in Cambridge have any plans to get together.

I have made a reservation for 10 people for 7 p.m. at Legal Seafoods:
http://www.legalseafoods.com/Restaurants/Cambridge-Kendall-Square

5 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
617-864-3400

It's next door to the Cambridge Marriott and across the street from the
Kendall Hotel. This will be ""DUTCH TREAT"" -- ask for a separate check or
share equally in the aggregate table tab, plus tip.

If you are fairly likely to join us, please REPLY to this email **off
list** (that is reply to mediag...@journ.umass.edu) and just give me
your name, cell phone number and whether you are a yes or a maybe. I'll
use that feed back to adjust the reservation number.

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:51:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: flyinghorse <sfbo...@yahoo.com>
To: Bill Densmore <mediag...@journ.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: REQUEST: Arriving at Logan around noon on Wednesday? (fwd)

hi,
Is anyone getting together for dinner on Tuesday evening or drinks?

thanks,
�� Suzie Katz

-------------------------------------
Bill Densmore
co-convenor, Journalism That Matters
director, Media Giraffe Project at UMass Amherst
CELL: 413-458-8001
dens...@journ.umass.edu

"BEYOND BOOKS: News, literacy, democracy and America's Libraries"
Assessing the common mission of journalists and librarians
April 6-7, 2011 / MIT Center for Future Civic Media
REGISTER NOW: http://www.biblionews.org

Stephen Silha

Apr 2, 2011, 1:37:35 AM4/2/11
to biblione...@googlegroups.com, Ellen Clegg, Clayton Jones, Gordon R. Barnett, Kate Thompson, Michelle Ferrier, Chris Peck, Jim Shaffer, Bob Bruegmann, Wendy Rose, Marcia Youngman
Bill and attendees of JTM-Boston (http://www.journalismthatmatters.org/biblionews),

I would so love to join you all on Tuesday evening, but in fact, I am staying with my dear friend Ellen Clegg, who succeeded me as editor of the Edina Buzzette - yes, the Edina (Hornets) high school paper was the Buzzette, and we were a Pacemaker paper for several years.  (As you know, those were the 5 "best" high school papers in the country, according to the National High School Press Association.)  Ellen also worked for the Boston Globe for decades in many editorial capacities, and had a major (if unknown) voice in the conversations & issues of the region.

I am so excited about the Boston-Cambridge-MIT Journalism That Matters (JTM) gathering NOT JUST because my first job after college was working for The Christian Science Monitor and covering the 6 New England states, and because Leigh Montgomery of the Monitor is one of the principal organizers of this gathering, but because I have always felt that the synergy between librarians and journalists is one important key to the future of democracy.

We have held JTM gatherings that focused on the whole spectrum of the "new news ecology," but we have also focused more narrowly on media activists, educators, editors, and people of color/from underserved communities.  In all of our gatherings we have gone for maximum diversity -- because, as Peggy Holman points out, communicating across the most diverse spectrum is the best way to help our communities "emerge" to meet the needs of the future.

Librarians perhaps know more than anyone in our culture about how information organizes, and how to make it accessible to a broad public.  Therefore, to me, this conversation between librarians and journalists is critical to the sustainable future of both functions in the culture  -- news and accurate information about everything.

So, I want to remind all of us that we are creating the agenda for this gathering.  Please consider:  What are the most important questions for us to articulate and move forward to create healthy news and information ecologies in our communities?  We will literally create sessions on Thursday which will determine how successful we are in moving forward on things we most care about.

I want to thank Peggy Holman and Bill Densmore, because they have done the lion's share of planning for this gathering--in concert with a great planning committee which I was only able to join twice for weekly meetings over past months.  I am so looking forward to meeting all of you and to seeing what we can create together.

And I urge you, if you haven't done so, to HAVE THE PRE-CONFERENCE CONVERSATION with the person you were paired with.  It will jump-start our creative capacity -- and since we only have 1.5 days (less than half the usual time for a JTM gathering), this is important.

Many thanks in advance to all of you for being part of this mash-up.

Stephen

Stephen Silha
P.O. Box 2003
Vashon Island, Washington 98070 USA
Telephone:  (206) 567-4363
Cell: (206) 819-3755
Fax:  (206) 567-4737
e-mail:  ssi...@comcast.net
www.journalismthatmatters.org
http://www.bigjoy.org

http://ssilha.blogspot.com

Peggy Holman

Apr 2, 2011, 8:13:48 AM4/2/11
to biblione...@googlegroups.com
nice message!!!!

Love,
Peggy

mary treacy

Apr 3, 2011, 7:44:41 PM4/3/11
to biblione...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for being slow to respond. I've been on the road and just have
not had time to focus. Thank you for invitation. I arrive Wednesday
morning (having left Minnesota before the sun rises anywhere). I will see
you Wednesday. Thank you. I just can't change the reservations at this
point. MT