property for document cover / thumbnail images

Uldis Bojars

May 10, 2016, 6:14:31 AM5/10/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Some questions about describing documents / letters:

1) I am looking for a property for pointing to a thumbnail / cover image associated with a bibo:Document.

What (good) options are there?

In my case the document is a letter (bibo:Letter) and the thumbnail is a scaled-down scanned image of the 1st page.

2) How to link a document (e.g. a letter) to the scanned images of this document?

Some way to link documents to files would be good.

3) How to link a digital object to the URI of the organization that holds the original object (this is more from the domain of manuscripts or museum holdings, but applies to my use case of letters too)?

mods:physicalLocation is an option

Cheers,
Uldis

Uldis Bojars

May 10, 2016, 6:26:30 AM5/10/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Regarding thumbnails / cover images:

 - perhaps foaf:depiction property can be used here

Cheers,
Uldis

Frederick Giasson

May 10, 2016, 8:30:49 AM5/10/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uldis!

> Some questions about describing documents / letters:
>
> 1) I am looking for a property for pointing to a thumbnail / cover
> image associated with a bibo:Document.
>
> What (good) options are there?
>
> In my case the document is a letter (bibo:Letter) and the thumbnail is
> a scaled-down scanned image of the 1st page.

As you pointed out in your reply, the only option at the moment is using
foaf:depiction. What could be done is to create a specialization of this
property to define a thumbnail which would have a bibo:Document as its
domain (instead of foaf:thumbnail which has a foaf:Person as its domain).

> 2) How to link a document (e.g. a letter) to the scanned images of
> this document?
>
> Some way to link documents to files would be good.

You can use bibo:uri for this. In the past we had bibo:url, but if my
memory is good we created bibo:uri to broaden its scope. That way you
can refer a document, or a collection of documents, to its URI location
(URL, local file location, etc.)

> 3) How to link a digital object to the URI of the organization that
> holds the original object (this is more from the domain of manuscripts
> or museum holdings, but applies to my use case of letters too)?
>
> mods:physicalLocation is an option

Maybe, but I can't see that property defined in [1]

Otherwise, there is always bibo:owner which you can use to refer a
document or a collection of documents to its owner (which then we should
infer that the document is located at the owner's location, which is
obviously not always true).

This may point to an interesting gap to fill in the ontology

NOTE: the website is down at the moment, I am looking into what is wrong
with the domain name.

[1] http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/modsrdf/v1/modsrdf.owl

Thanks,

Fred

Uldis Bojars

May 11, 2016, 9:13:14 AM5/11/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frederick,

Good to see you online! :)

1) I am looking for a property for pointing to a thumbnail / cover image associated with a bibo:Document.

As you pointed out in your reply, the only option at the moment is using foaf:depiction. What could be done is to create a specialization of this property to define a thumbnail which would have a bibo:Document as its domain (instead of foaf:thumbnail which has a foaf:Person as its domain).

schema:thumbnailUrl is another option (to be sure applications "understand" this info we can use both schema:[...] and foaf:depication).

re. a bibo:[...] property for this use case - looks like there is a need.

as with any new term the question is what to call this property and how to describe it: (a) a thumbnail; (b) a cover image (more specific to books, ...); (c) something else that includes both thumbnails and cover images.

in my use case it is an "reasonably-sized" image showing the object. it is not exactly "thumb-sized" (largest dimension <= 1024) but it's smaller than the original scans.

2) How to link a document (e.g. a letter) to the scanned images of this document?

You can use bibo:uri for this. In the past we had bibo:url, but if my memory is good we created bibo:uri to broaden its scope. That way you can refer a document, or a collection of documents, to its URI location (URL, local file location, etc.)

not ideal as a document may have many pages but a "uri" property implies that this is an identifier for the whole document.

in a related discussion (on Twitter) Rurik suggested using dct:hasPart / isPartOf:
  - https://twitter.com/CaptSolo/status/729989445760516096

that might work for files "attached to the object" if we don't have a more precise property.

we also have a more specific sub-use-case here, will write about that a bit later.

3) How to link a digital object to the URI of the organization that holds the original object (this is more from the domain of manuscripts or museum holdings, but applies to my use case of letters too)?

mods:physicalLocation is an option

Maybe, but I can't see that property defined in [1]

thanks - turns out there's different names for MODS XML tag (physicalLocation) and RDF property (locationPhysical).

Otherwise, there is always bibo:owner which you can use to refer a document or a collection of documents to its owner (which then we should infer that the document is located at the owner's location, which is obviously not always true).

bibo:owner is a good suggestion as we need to point to the organization holding the original (not necessarily to any physical location) - would help to avoid adding yet another ontology to the mix.

P.S. shouldn't bibo:uri be an object property?

Cheers,
Uldis

Bruce D'Arcus

May 11, 2016, 9:40:40 AM5/11/16
to Bibliographic Ontology Specification Group

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Frederick Giasson <fr...@fgiasson.com> wrote:

[snip]

2) How to link a document (e.g. a letter) to the scanned images of this document?

Some way to link documents to files would be good.

You can use bibo:uri for this. In the past we had bibo:url, but if my memory is good we created bibo:uri to broaden its scope. That way you can refer a document, or a collection of documents, to its URI location (URL, local file location, etc.)

I don't think that's an appropriate use of this literal property. See this for a bit of background on bibo:uri:

I think DC/DCTERMS has a property that works for this case.

 Bruce

[snip]

Frederick Giasson

May 11, 2016, 9:47:56 AM5/11/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uldis,

> Good to see you online! :)

I have always been :)

> 1) I am looking for a property for pointing to a thumbnail /
> cover image associated with a bibo:Document.
>
> As you pointed out in your reply, the only option at the
> moment is using foaf:depiction. What could be done is to
> create a specialization of this property to define a thumbnail
> which would have a bibo:Document as its domain (instead of
> foaf:thumbnail which has a foaf:Person as its domain).
>

> schema:thumbnailUrl is another option (to be sure applications
> "understand" this info we can use both schema:[...] and foaf:depication).
>
> re. a bibo:[...] property for this use case - looks like there is a need.
>
> as with any new term the question is what to call this property and
> how to describe it: (a) a thumbnail; (b) a cover image (more specific
> to books, ...); (c) something else that includes both thumbnails and
> cover images.
>
> in my use case it is an "reasonably-sized" image showing the object.
> it is not exactly "thumb-sized" (largest dimension <= 1024) but it's
> smaller than the original scans.

Yes, I agree with that. Could you create a new issue on GitHub for the
addition of this property? We should then discuss its scope, definition
and if it should be a sub-class-of something else that exists.

> 2) How to link a document (e.g. a letter) to the scanned
> images of this document?
>

> You can use bibo:uri for this. In the past we had bibo:url, but if
> my memory is good we created bibo:uri to broaden its scope. That
> way you can refer a document, or a collection of documents, to its
> URI location (URL, local file location, etc.)
>

> not ideal as a document may have many pages but a "uri" property
> implies that this is an identifier for the whole document.
>
> in a related discussion (on Twitter) Rurik suggested using dct:hasPart
> / isPartOf:
> - https://twitter.com/CaptSolo/status/729989445760516096
>
> that might work for files "attached to the object" if we don't have a
> more precise property.
>
> we also have a more specific sub-use-case here, will write about that
> a bit later.

Yeah I agree that this is suboptimal. Please create another GitHub issue
to track the addition of such a property.

> 3) How to link a digital object to the URI of the organization
> that holds the original object (this is more from the domain
> of manuscripts or museum holdings, but applies to my use case
> of letters too)?
>
> mods:physicalLocation is an option
>

> Maybe, but I can't see that property defined in [1]
>

> thanks - turns out there's different names for MODS XML tag
> (physicalLocation) and RDF property (locationPhysical).

I think this would be worth a new property/mechanism in Bibo as well. A
new github issue? :)

> Otherwise, there is always bibo:owner which you can use to refer a
> document or a collection of documents to its owner (which then we
> should infer that the document is located at the owner's location,
> which is obviously not always true).
>

> bibo:owner is a good suggestion as we need to point to the
> organization holding the original (not necessarily to any physical
> location) - would help to avoid adding yet another ontology to the mix.

Yes but a specific location property in bibo would be much better. I
thought we had this discussion about location years ago, but apparently
not. So this is definitely missing.

> P.S. shouldn't bibo:uri be an object property?

The idea here is that bibo:uri is a sub-property-of bibo:identifier
which are textual identifiers. Bibo URI includes all the kinds of URIs
including URLs and such. But I think it has always been confusing (maybe
even more now that bibo:url doesn't exist anymore). I am open to
suggestions here to make things clearer, a GitHub issue would be
warranted to document the process.

Thanks,

Fred

Frederick Giasson

May 11, 2016, 9:51:07 AM5/11/16
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uldis,

Forgot to ask you: what are you currently working on related to BIBO?

Thanks,

Fred