namespaces

Christopher Gutteridge

Jan 17, 2013, 7:40:48 AM1/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
I ran https://raw.github.com/structureddynamics/Bibliographic-Ontology-BIBO/1.3/bibo.xml.owl
through an RDF "sanity checker" I've been working on;
http://graphite.ecs.soton.ac.uk/checker/?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fraw.github.com%2Fstructureddynamics%2FBibliographic-Ontology-BIBO%2F1.3%2Fbibo.xml.owl

and it highlighted some unusual namespaces:

http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl2-xml#
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos#

These may not be correct, and we should perhaps be using:

owl: http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#
skos: http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#
Although it's not a very big deal.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

My line-manager has bet me I can't get 10,000 views on my Minecraft
YouTube video before the end of December. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PNPgaLKFlc

Frederick Giasson

Jan 17, 2013, 8:02:43 AM1/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Yes, good catch. These are coming from the time when SKOS was thinking changing their URI, but changed their mind :)

I agree that they should be modified, so if you could, push the change on BIBO GitHub, otherwise I can do this myself if you don't have any GitHub account.

Thanks,

Fred

Jan Polowinski

Jan 17, 2013, 8:03:58 AM1/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Should this be considered for change, maybe also the prefix for the namespace

could be changed to vs (which is stated to be the preferred prefix for it). Of course opinions vary whether prefixes matter (technically they don't) but in practice it's sometimes easier.

Jan

Dipl.-Medieninf. Jan Polowinski
PhD student

Technische Universität Dresden
Department of Computer Science
Software- and Multimedia-Technology

Christopher Gutteridge

Jan 17, 2013, 8:10:05 AM1/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Well, let me plug my in-development tool for jobbing RDF programmers:
Triple-Checker: http://graphite.ecs.soton.ac.uk/checker/

It doesn't check RDF syntax, or ontological correctness, but rather looks for the kind of dumb typos which I make every now and then;
- typo'd namespace
- wrong namespace (I keep using owl:seeAlso when I mean rdfs:seeAlso!)
- incorrect datatype -- eg. You've said "2012-02-02"^^xsd:float

Christopher Gutteridge

Jan 17, 2013, 8:52:11 AM1/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com, Jan Polowinski
Standard prefixes save errors and confusion when people do cut-and-paste using your rdf as an exemplar.

I've submitted a pull-request with the namespace changes. Turns out the skos was correct in the xmlns:skos but not in the entity definition a few lines later!