What is the relation between dcterms:identifier and bibo:identifier?

ljgarcia

Nov 15, 2012, 8:37:27 AM11/15/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have seen that some of the properties in bibo are mapped to/inheriting from dcterms. However, it does not happen with bibo:identifier. What would be the reason?
Would it be possible/sensible to make bibo:identifier a sup-property of dcterms:identifier?

Regards,

lj

Trevor Thornton

Nov 15, 2012, 10:59:43 AM11/15/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
I think that this makes sense.

It seems to me that dcterms should be used as a domain-agnostic model that can be extended to suit the needs of more specific domains (bibliographic, archival, etc.) through subPropertyOf, subClassOf, etc. In this way, the dcterms classes and properties could provide a common vocabulary when resources from these domains need to be aggregated.

Trevor Thornton
Senior Applications Developer, NYPL Labs
The New York Public Library
phone: 212-621-0287
email: trevort...@nypl.org

Niklas Lindström

Dec 11, 2012, 3:54:58 PM12/11/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree. This pattern is very good for richer vocabularies to
adhere to. By extending basic, commonly known core terms (where
applicable), OWL processors, or simpler tools using basic vocabulary
expansion (as defined by RDFa 1.1 [1]) can extract a core of
information for use in scenarios where the richer vocabulary isn't
known/handled.

Best regards,
Niklas

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/#vocabulary-expansion