New KIM Group Bestandsdaten (Holdings)

Klee, Carsten

Apr 16, 2013, 5:23:09 AM4/16/13
to publi...@w3.org, bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com, BIBF...@listserv.loc.gov
Dear colleagues and interested parties!

A new KIM Group 'Holdings' has been formed. Similar to the group 'Titeldaten' [1] we would like to give a best practice proposal for the RDF representation of library holdings information.

I invite everyone to participate in the group.

For discussion a mailing list [2] has been established. General information and documentation of the results of the group are to be found in the DNB-Wiki [3].

As a first step it would be useful to gather ideas, documents and notes on library holdings information [4].

I would be glad, if you contribute your ideas.

regards,

Carsten Klee

[1] <https://wiki.dnb.de/display/DINIAGKIM/Titeldaten+Gruppe>
[3] <https://wiki.dnb.de/display/DINIAGKIM/Bestandsdaten+Gruppe>
[4] <https://wiki.dnb.de/display/DINIAGKIM/Collection+of+Holdings+Ontologies%2C+Vocabularies%2C+Standards>

Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Potsdamer Straße 33
10785 Berlin

Fon: +49 30 266-43 44 02
Fax: +49 30 266-33 40 01
carste...@sbb.spk-berlin.de
www.zeitschriftendatenbank.de

Christopher Gutteridge

Apr 16, 2013, 10:25:14 AM4/16/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com, Klee, Carsten, publi...@w3.org, BIBF...@listserv.loc.gov
I've been investigating how to turn the catalogue of our library special collections into RDF. There's some oddities I've not seen before including, for people a term fl  before a date range, which indicates the years they were known to be active, rather than birth-death.

I'm not a collections expert but I'll be what help I can to the community.
--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

Would you recommend the software you use to another institution?
http://uni-software.ideascale.com/

Klee, Carsten

Apr 17, 2013, 2:42:20 AM4/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com

Hi Christopher,

are you talking about the Zeitschriftendatenbank? Where you get the data from?

It seems like the term you're talking about is a subfield indicator in the PICA+ Format. Like f = here comes subfield and  l = subfield l.

But I'm not sure you're talking about this.

Carsten

Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02

Christopher Gutteridge

Apr 17, 2013, 1:17:37 PM4/17/13
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com, Klee, Carsten
nope, in this case fl indicates the years in which someone was known to be active, when the cataloguer does not know their birth or death dates.