rdf 1.1 proflle

Bruce D'Arcus

Jun 3, 2012, 6:54:06 PM6/3/12
to Bibliographic Ontology Specification Group
I was just reminded that I'd experimented with creating a bibo profile
document awhile back for RDFa 1.1. Is there any interest in moving
this to the bibo domain, and maybe cleaning it up?

http://bdarcus.github.com/bibo-in-html/profile.html

Repo at:

https://github.com/bdarcus/bibo-in-html/

Bruce

Ivan Herman

Jun 3, 2012, 8:36:51 PM6/3/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

I have a bad news: the @profile attribute has been removed (about a year ago) from RDFa 1.1:-( It is a long story; the bottom line is that it has proven to produce way too many problems (eg, what to do if a profile is not reachable on the Web...).

The only things that are there and which are somewhat related:

- the @vocab attribute: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/#s_vocab_expansion
- initial context: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/#s_initialcontexts

I am sorry if you lost time and energy unnecessarily...

Cheers

Ivan
> --

----
Ivan Herman
4, rue Beauvallon, clos St Joseph
13090 Aix-en-Provence
France
http://www.ivan-herman.net

Bruce D'Arcus

Jun 4, 2012, 1:11:51 PM6/4/12
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I have a bad news: the @profile attribute has been removed (about a year ago) from RDFa 1.1:-( It is a long story; the bottom line is that it has proven to produce way too many problems (eg, what to do if a profile is not reachable on the Web...).
>
> The only things that are there and which are somewhat related:
>
> - the @vocab attribute: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/#s_vocab_expansion
> - initial context: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/#s_initialcontexts
>
> I am sorry if you lost time and energy unnecessarily...

I don't have time to read into this, but is it fair to say the upshot
is that we could add equivalent property statements to the bibo
ontology, and get profile-like benefits from using vocab?

Bruce

Ivan Herman

Jun 4, 2012, 1:30:25 PM6/4/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

I am sitting at a conference right now, so I cannot go into the details. I think you are basically right, but I would prefer to come back to the details of this next week. Would that work for you? I am happy to discuss it with you then.

Ivan

Ivan Herman

Jun 13, 2012, 11:07:25 AM6/13/12
to Bruce D'Arcus, bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

I am back from the West Coast.

What you say is essentially it, actually. From an RDFa processor point of view, if one uses

<... vocab="http://www.example.org/>

<...>

then two things happen

1. any, say, @property="bla" will automatically be expanded to http://www.example.org/bla
2. the rdfa processor MAY download the content of http://www.example.org, try to get it as RDF (content negotiations and all that) and may then do a mini-mini-rdfs+owl reasoning (essentially on subclass, subproperty, equivalent class and equivalent property) and thereby extend the generated graph with new statements.

Note that #2 is not required, so not all rdfa processor do it.

So... if you put those equivalences into the bibo ontology, and if the rdfa processor behaves well, then you would indeed get those extra triples in the output

Doest this help a little?

Cheers

Ivan

P.S. B.t.w., http://www.w3.org/2012/pyRdfa/ does this expansion, though it has to be used with an extra option flag. That being said, I am not sure how big is the bibo ontology; if it is very large, then this may slow processing down...