Strong's concordance

Micah Nordland

Aug 18, 2013, 8:01:01 AM8/18/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to add a Strong's search to this app?

Ralf Schönfeld

Nov 5, 2013, 3:26:12 PM11/5/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com

Am Sonntag, 18. August 2013 14:01:01 UTC+2 schrieb Micah Nordland:
Would it be possible to add a Strong's search to this app?

I would also request a integration for a text with strong numbers in the upper window, which should be underlined as hyperlinks.

I expect a search for the strongs, if I tap on it and find the result in the lower windows.
I had that long time ago on PalmBible+, and have a german luther converted as yes with strong numbers. (look at the attachaed picture in lower windowpart)
Screenshot_2013-11-03-19-05-24.png
There is a project in germany which finished the german version for the strongs this week.
It will be available until the end of this year for free.
I asked the autor, if he would publish this in a format, which we could import in Quickbible.
So I ask here, if there already is a fileformat defined which could be used for this project.
Best regards and thank you for your app!
Ralf

Yuku Sugianto

Nov 5, 2013, 11:49:47 PM11/5/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ralf,

The screenshot didn't come through. Could you upload it somewhere and post the link?

We have no support for strongs as of now, but I think it can be added fairly easily.

Yuku

Ralf Schönfeld

Nov 8, 2013, 12:12:50 PM11/8/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
oops sorry
here are the links

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64727191/Screenshot_2013-11-03-19-05-24.png
The next picture is the solution used in a commecial application which I also own. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64727191/Screenshot_2013-11-03-19-16-20.png

I also linked a file which I converted from the free Palm Bible+ Strongsfile with 1912 Luther German Text.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64727191/luthStongs.yes
There were also english versions for that in the Palm Formum Database I remember.

Do you have an idea to show the strongs content in the lower or upper window, if the user taps on a number or a underlined word?
Which file format would be suitable to support such a function? I have converted an older source for the german stongs to csv, and also offer here for exerimental use.:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64727191/GrDe3.csv
This is NOT the newer source which I mentioned some days ago. I will contact the author to get an agreement with you for the filefomat.

Thank you!
Ralf

Yuku Sugianto

Nov 11, 2013, 5:05:26 AM11/11/13
to androi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ralf,

I see, thanks for the screenshots.

I understand what you mean. I didn't know there are strongs dictionary in German language as well, I thought it was only in English.

CSV format will be OK for now, since I haven't decided how to store a strongs dictionary.
I wonder if the  1912 Luther German with Strongs version is available in plain text, so I can use that as a sample of a version that has Strongs number attached. If you have such a thing, please do let me know.

pdb->yes converter is now available at pdb2yes.alkitab-host.appspot.com , soon pdb->yet (text file) will also be available.

Yuku

Max Nikolaus

Jan 31, 2022, 11:56:12 AMJan 31
to bibleforandroid
Hello all!

I know it's been 9 years, but, has there been any progress towards adding Strong's concordance to the app? Even if there were an option of importing a file like we do with Bible translations, and a way to reference the concordance/dictionary with a tag in the Bible translation would be awesome.

Thanks!
Max.

Ralf Schönfeld

Jan 31, 2022, 4:41:05 PMJan 31
to bibleforandroid
Yes, I have created this. I took the Strongs concordance german from Gerhard Kautz and his study bible.
 It took me more than 1000 hours work. It is a 100 MByte YES file for quickbible.
It contains 5 bible versions in german and  Westcott Hurt / Aland 1904 bible text with greek accents.
It has about 8 Million hyperlinks within it to link from greek or german word to strong and explains also the morphology code.

The complete project is here : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlVz_sLi3dilu2Ou4dhecUTa1KSZ?e=4xU7GS
The bible YET file is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlVz_sLi3dilxTZEW_wwNB-5nFjl?e=DZhAFG

Gods blessings with this
Ralf

Max Nikolaus

Feb 2, 2022, 8:18:50 AMFeb 2
to bibleforandroid
Wow! That is amazing work! Congratulations on the results, and thank you for sharing. I can't read German, but I can appreciate the work done. I've personally compiled 2 files, one in Spanish (my mother tongue, Reina-Valera 1960) and one in English (King James Version), both with footnote references to a Bible commentary (each in its own language since I had both translations of the commentary as well). Each file weighs around 13Mb.

What I was trying to accomplish is to have something similar with footnote tags, or better yet, full word hyperlinks to an integrated Strong dictionary without the need to go to an external site or depending on an internet connection, since sometimes I would be out of signal range and need to consult my Bible. Perhaps a sort of pop-up from a secondary app like it's done with BibleMaps (by the same team). My main problem is one of scale. There're over half a million references in any given translation, but there're only around 8600 distinct Hebrew words and around 5600 distinct Greek words, so there's a lot of repetition. If I were to include the full definition for each time any word is referenced, I don't doubt I'd reach a 500Mb file very quickly, which is anything but efficient. My second problem is that of encoding, because my source file for Strong's dictionary is a PDF which when I converted to txt, breaks the Hebrew words first by separating the consonants from the accents, and secondly, reversing the RTL order, so every word is backwards. And then, when I try to process and merge it, my code won't know what Hebrew/Greek characters are and it'll write giberish (I'm using Visual FoxPro to process the text).

So, yeah. Perhaps the way would be to develop a Dictionary app compatible with QuickBible, though I suspect that would be too much of a mountain to climb for myself.

yuku

Mar 14, 2022, 8:50:13 AMMar 14
to bibleforandroid
Hi, Max and Ralf,

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.

To be honest, I do not have the urgency or much time to work on the Quick Bible app. The reason is that other than having a full-time job, I found that in Android there are many excellent Bible app that are available. Even the most popular YouVersion / bible.com app is very stable and feature-rich now.

Therefore, please do not wait for me to add the Strongs concordance feature since it is very unlikely that it will be completed by me.

However, if you want to create a different app that can integrate into Quick Bible app, probably it will be possible by writing an extension. Please take a look at the technical documentation here https://alkitab.app/developer on how to write an extension.

The Bible app source code https://github.com/yukuku/androidbible has been adapted / forked by many people and has been published to the Play Store as various apps. You may want to fork the source code to add the features that you need as well.

With love in Christ,
Yuku