Change type of footnote caller in online editors and OpenOffice exports

Eric Chapman

Mar 16, 2022, 9:23:51 PM3/16/22
to Teus Benschop
Hi, everyone,

Is there a way in Bibledit Cloud to change the footnote callers
(currently superscript digits) in both the regular editors in Bibledit
and in the exported OpenOffice documents?

I would like them to be "a b c d e f …" in superscript and restart in
this way: on screen, I'd like them to restart with each chapter. In
OpenOffice exported documents, I'd like them to restart on every page.

Thank you for your help!

Eric

Teus Benschop

Mar 17, 2022, 1:24:46 PM3/17/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

There is some way to change the footnote callers in Bibledit.

This video explains some of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfuetVQEJM

Changing the footnote callers works through editing the "f" style in the stylesheet.
The sequence of callers "a b c ..." can be set there.
In the Bibledit editor it will automatically restart every chapter.
In the export to Opendocument the setting on the "f" style affects that.

To restart the footnote callers on every page in OpenOffice, that is a bit of a different issue. Bibledit does not know when OpenOffice restarts the page. Bibledit assigns fixed numbers or letters to the footnote callers. So these cannot now be restarted on every page in OpenOffice since they are fixed.

Such a thing would need a kind of "automatic" footnote caller, so then OpenOffice can fill that automatic caller in on its own and restart that every page. That mechanism of "automatic" footnote callers is not now in Bibledit.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Teus Benschop

Mar 17, 2022, 2:01:38 PM3/17/22
to Eric Chapman
Hello Eric,

Applying the stylesheet works through a setting where the stylesheet can be selected for the Bible editors, or for export.

That setting can be accessed via menu Settings -> Bibles -> (select Bible).

Then there's these two settings that can be made:

Stylesheet for editing: Standard
Stylesheet for export: Standard

Eric Chapman

Mar 17, 2022, 2:33:01 PM3/17/22
to Teus Benschop

Also, I checked the version of Bibledit installed on the server (Michael Johnson's), and it is 5.0.978.

Mar 17, 2022, 2:59:59 PM3/17/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

Duh, the stylesheet in "general" will be applied to the Bible editors, but you know what, the "note caller" remains numeric in the Bible editor, no matter what the setting in the stylesheet would be for the "f" style.

So currently the note caller defined in the "f" style will work with Bible exports only.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Eric Chapman

Mar 17, 2022, 3:09:35 PM3/17/22
to Teus Benschop

Thank you, Teus, for that information about the stylesheet setting for "f" not affecting the text displayed on screen.

I confirm that now an export to OpenDocument format does insert the letters for note callers. And, of course, I can see clearly that on the screen they are still digits.

I think it would be good to change it such that the text on the screen would match the output in this case.

Also, I guess it's a lot of work, but it would be really nice to have "automatic" footnote callers in the exported OpenDocument format.

Thank you once again.

Eric

Teus Benschop

Mar 17, 2022, 3:19:04 PM3/17/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

It's good to receive the confirmation that the note caller gets changed in the Bible exports.

Yes, it's an incomplete feature now to have a fixed numeric note caller in the Bible editors. If you may be able to open an issue on https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues stating what needs to be done and so on, then eventually this issue will be implemented by someone.

The same would apply to having automatic note callers in the export to OpenDocument. Yes, it looks to be a useful feature to have that, since that is needed to set OpenOffice to restart the numbering on every page.