Building from source

Mark Shelby

Apr 26, 2024, 10:41:06 AMApr 26
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Just for fun, I'm building bibledit-cloud on a fresh install of a minimal headless server.

So I downloaded a couple of tar.gz files from the bibledit GitHub.

The machine I'm building on is a raspberry pi, so I first tried to install bibledit-cloud from the pre installed repositories.

Woah! Even The cloud version for Debian still pulls in many, many dependencies for a desktop version. Things like desktop icons, a graphics library (gtk+) a compositor, (libwayland0) etc, etc...

So, I built the latest version (5.1.005)  from source. It built and installed fine, after I installed a few dependencies (like libcurl, etc...).

My question: I know I can download the source files, but where can I find a list of pre-requisits necessary to successfully build the program?

Like, to build the cloud version, do I need to have a webserver like Apache or nginx already installed first, do I need to have php pre installed, things like that.

So once the program is installed, how do I start it up at every boot up of my server, etc...

So, are these questions answered somewhere that I am not aware of? Thanks!

Mark Shelby

Teus Benschop

Apr 27, 2024, 11:33:53 AMApr 27
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

The steps to build the cloud from source, including the bare dependencies, are here:

There's no need for any web server like apache or nginx, because the web server is built-in into the bibledit cloud package.

The above link also describes how to start the Cloud version. Once started through that script, it will register itself with crontab, and so start upon system boot the next time.

Teus Benschop