How to use Bibledit stand-alone without ever using a Cloud connection?

Ian Scales

Mar 25, 2024, 7:36:30 PMMar 25
to Bibledit-General
I guess this is a question for Teus, but others are welcome ...

Preface (skip if you like): I have been using Bibledit Desktop v 4.16. I didn't need any cloud connection for it, which suited me. This was going fine, until I started doing lots of searches. Every 15 or so searches, it would crash. I could almost cope with that, but it would restart without my workspace. Having to set up a new workspace after 15 searches, when I have about 8000 searches still to do, won't fly. So I can't use V 4.16. And yet, Bibledit really has a nice search function, listing all matches within a snippet of context for each.

I have (re)installed Bibledit for Windows 5.1.009, which is the latest on Github. You advised me in my previous post it was possible to disconnect. To quote you:
"To disconnect from the public Bibledit Cloud, disconnect from the Cloud via Menu -> Settings -> Cloud -> Connection information -> I understand it and want to disconnect from the Cloud."

I do not see this option, or any of this text, in my installation of v 5.1.009. Here is a screenshot of what I see when I go to Menu > Settings > Cloud .There is no further sub menu for "Connection Information". Once you click "Cloud", you are into the screen I have screenshotted below. Can this be solved somehow, so that I can just run Bibledit with my own usfm files on my own harddrive, never connecting to the cloud, and with no need to buy server space?

Capture.JPG

Teus Benschop

Mar 26, 2024, 1:40:14 PMMar 26
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

The screenshot shows that Bibledit is not connected to Bibledit Cloud. That is why the steps to disconnect are not applicable right now.

The screenshot gives the option to connect to the Cloud if so desired, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WVgFQhvkCM for more information.

When used independently, without a Cloud connection, Bibledit still has lots of functionality, albeit a bit less than when connected to a Cloud.

Good luck working on this,

Teus

Ian Scales

Mar 26, 2024, 7:43:00 PMMar 26
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks Teus.

I hope it doesn't connect itself to the demo like I think it did the first time I tried BIbleedit, a week ago.

A couple more questions:

1) I can't find where to turn off spellcheck. Since I am viewing/editing a foreign language, I have a sea of squiggly red underlines that makes it hard to read the text. I want to turn them off.

2) Bibleedit Desktop 4.16 had an "advanced find" function that allowed for different matching strategies (see screenshot). I used this a lot, I regard it as essential for the work I'm doing. But Bibledit only searches for simple text strings, with no "advanced find"? Seems not to allow regex either, unless I'm doing it wrong (anyway, I don't want to regex 8000 searches one by one, yikes). I liked the search in Bibleedit 4.16.

 image_2024-03-27_103515732.png

bahasa kita

Mar 27, 2024, 3:07:30 AMMar 27
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
The way I would do this is to leave the connection in the program, but just stop my device’s access to the internet.

Phil

Teus Benschop

Mar 27, 2024, 2:04:09 PMMar 27
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ian,

Connecting to the Cloud is a manual operation only. Bibledit won't connect automatically or on its own. That said, it's very easy to connect to the demo Cloud, one click is sufficient to get that done. This is also visible in one of the screenshots in this thread. So I think there's no worry that it will connect to the demo automatically, and subsequently your work gets erased. That having said, it's good to always make backups just in case something catastrophic happens.

About the spellcheck, this spellcheck is a feature of the browser normally, and it should be possible, in a normal browser, to switch that off. But in your case the browser is embedded in the Bibledit app on Windows, and there won't be controls to switch spell check off, since this browser is an embedded browser.

There may be two solutions to this, one immediate solution, and one for some time in the future.

Immediate solution or workaround. You may be able to still use a normal browser, and switch spell check off in this browser. To do that, open a browser on the computer that runs Bibledit, and while Bibledit runs, and then navigate to "http://localhost:9876". That should open the Bibledit interface in your browser.

For the future: Open an issue on https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues requesting for a setting in Bibledit to switch off spell check in the embedded browser. Once this feature is implemented, it is going to be easier to have spell check off.

Then, about Advanced Search, yes, Bibledit has that too, see http://bibledit.org:8090/search/search2 for a demo, and here is a screenshot of that:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 18.58.54.png
It's not the same as in Bibledit Desktop version 4.x, but it offers some advanced searching functions.

Teus

Ian Scales

Mar 30, 2024, 4:32:12 AMMar 30
to Bibledit-General
Thanks Teus.

I'll get over to Github and open the spellcheck issue.

As to search, this seems to be one of the functions where Bibledit version 4.16 has more options than the current version 5. In this case, v 4.16 allowed for match start/end of word, effectively allowing "match whole word only". That's the main search I'm doing, hundreds of times over. So I'll stay with v 4.16.

I found the stability issue in v 4.16 that I'd complained of earlier, which showed up after a dozen or so consecutive searches, improved when I went to View>Tile Windows and let it arrange the workspace itself, than when I manually arranged it.

I do often wonder why Bibledit 5 has been "defeatured" (less options in the menus) compared to version 4, and why the GUI was changed to be much less conventional (and so harder for a new user to guess their way around).

But, after all, Bibledit is practically the only game in town for a multi-window comparative textual editor suited to bible translation, that will allow an independent researcher to upload their own files.

Paratext may be the king, but its doors are firmly shut to independent translators unless you qualify by having multiple PhDs across various academic fields -- I only obtained one PhD (which is the usual among academics) and that's not sufficient!

So Bibledit it is. I may have quibbles (why wasn't the mostly excellent Bibledit Desktop v 4.16 built upon -- what a shame); but overall, well done Teus (and past volunteers) for developing this tool.

Ian