How to check verses complete

Samuel Bacon

Sep 6, 2022, 12:17:15 AM9/6/22
to Bibledit-General
Hi, is there a way to check that we have all the verses? That is, do we have any missing?
For example, if I had a csv file with book, chapter, verse data (not the actual words in the verse), then I could put it into a spread sheet and compare with a known list that is complete.
We have completed OT and NT with over 30,000 verses so I'm looking for a 'simple' way to check I haven't missed or deleted a verse.
Thanks,
Samuel

Matthew A. Postiff

Sep 6, 2022, 8:28:05 AM9/6/22
to Samuel Bacon, bibledit...@googlegroups.com

Hi Samuel,

I have a little python script that could help with that. Run it like this:

countChaptersVerses.py *.SFM

The output will give you some information if there is a verse out of order or skipped, but it does not know how many verses are supposed to be in each chapter so it could miss if you do not have the final verses.

It also outputs a "dictionary" of each chapter that it founds and the highest verse number in each chapter.

Note the instructions at the top of the script.

Matt

countChaptersVerses.py

Teus Benschop

Sep 6, 2022, 12:48:03 PM9/6/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com, Samuel Bacon
Hello Matt, Samuel,

That method sounds useful for the checks on the verse numbers whether all verses are there.
It's easy to accidentally omit one or so.
There's another check too, in Bibledit, that does about the same as the script from Matt does. Here's the demo: http://bibledit.org:8090/checks/settings.
Good luck checking on missing verses, hope you find none missing.

Teus

Samuel Bacon

Sep 7, 2022, 11:26:02 PM9/7/22
to Teus Benschop, bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
That is excellent. Just found two verses that were somehow deleted within the last few months! And I'm about 2 days away from sending the file off to print. Praise the Lord and thanks guys.
I presume that checking system only works for the New Testament? (I had no results for the Old, even for verses that vary from the versification system like in the New)
God bless,
Samuel

Kadi Kapasidade
Rua De Beto Leste, Beto
Naroman, Madohi, Dili
Timor-Leste

Teus Benschop

Sep 8, 2022, 12:55:47 PM9/8/22

On Thu, 8 Sept 2022 at 05:26, Samuel Bacon <samuel...@kaditimor.org> wrote:
[...] I presume that checking system only works for the New Testament? (I had no results for the Old, even for verses that vary from the versification system like in the New)

I guess that the script Matt gave will work for any Testament, because I didn't see a reference in that script to the Old or the New Testament, so likely it works for both. The Bibledit checks support both Testaments also.

Wishing all the best with the publication phase, and may God bless.

Teus.

Matthew A. Postiff

Sep 8, 2022, 1:23:33 PM9/8/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com

Hi Samuel, Teus,

Indeed my script works for any collection of SFM books you give it, from 1 to 66 or any other number for that matter.  What it does is look at \v verse markers, and tracks whether 1 is always followed by 2, and 2 by 3, etc. until the next \c chapter marker. If there is anything out of order, it flags it. Once it is done, it prints a dictionary (a Python data structure) of every chapter and the highest verse number it found in that chapter. This is useful for comparing versification across translations, and just generally for finding missing verses.

Matt