images in the Bible text

Samuel Bacon

Aug 19, 2021, 5:45:14 PM8/19/21
to Bibledit-General
Hi there,
Does Bibledit allow putting in images (figures or pictures)? I have tried the following code:
\fig |300_Wise_men.jpg|col|2:1-12||Ema matenek klean tuir fitun hodi buka liurai nebee foin moris.|2:1\fig*
I note that there is no location in the code so I wasn't sure how Bibledit might know where that image exists. The images are our own.
Is there some guide to Bibledit that deals with things like this? (So I don't need to bug you so much) I tried the help section but its fairly brief.
Regards,
Samuel

Teus Benschop

Aug 19, 2021, 11:09:13 PM8/19/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samuel,

Currently there is no support for the \fig markup in Bibledit.
It just removes the \fig markup and that's it.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Samuel Bacon

Aug 20, 2021, 11:58:17 PM8/20/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Ok,  I look forward to the day images can be included.  We are developing a set of images especially for culturally specific concepts like threshing grain,  carrying a yoke,  treading the wine press etc.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bibledit-General" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bibledit-general/CAFueZ4y%2BFeDzJwWzBWxSP3XtNgdvZFmDGpqT6ic6-fowtEzdHg%40mail.gmail.com.

Teus Benschop

Aug 21, 2021, 9:58:46 AM8/21/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Samuel,

If there's a good need for handling figures in the software, one of the ways to push it is to open an issue on https://github.com/bibledit/cloud explaining the how's and why's for this.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Michael Johnson

Aug 23, 2021, 6:46:29 PM8/23/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Removing \fig markup seems to be a bit antisocial, even if you don't properly support it. At a minimum, I would expect Bibledit to leave it in place, even if it ignores it. That way, publishing paths other than Bibledit can use it.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bibledit-general/CAC-YwV%3De2C3sCePDmyeWy7QSRa14D8Zm%2BAQpu102Q4py0ZC3gg%40mail.gmail.com.

--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747
• USA
mljohnson.orgeBible.orgWorldEnglish.BiblePNG.Bible
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook: fb.me/kahunapule

Samuel Bacon

Aug 23, 2021, 8:58:14 PM8/23/21
to Bibledit-General
Hi there Michael, I just checked this out. Bibledit only removes the \fig markup when it is exported into something like OpenDocument format. I just tried it and it is not showing in LibreOffice. However, if I export the full USFM it still exists. So it can still be used in other applications.
Samuel

Michael Johnson

Aug 23, 2021, 9:46:01 PM8/23/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
That is a relief to me. Thank you.

Teus Benschop

Aug 24, 2021, 4:25:06 PM8/24/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I get the point you are making about that it's better to leave the \fig markup in place.
But what I meant to say is that while exporting to visual formats like OpenDocument or HTML, the \fig markup does not leave visible traces in the published text.
Would it have been better to leave some kind of trace in the visual export formats?
When exporting to USFM, the \fig markup is left in place, just as it was in the USFM already, or as it was entered in the editor.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Teus Benschop

Aug 24, 2021, 4:26:26 PM8/24/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
OK, being just back from work, I hadn't read the clarification Samuel gave, before I wrote my reply.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Samuel Bacon

Aug 24, 2021, 4:31:34 PM8/24/21
to Bibledit-General
Its good for now to remove the \fig markup for exports to visual formats.